Solving for B matrix in terms of A. Can someone check my answer?

In summary: IGJ1dHRvbiBmb3IgdGhlIGZpcnN0IHN0YXRlZCBvZiB0aGUgZXF1YXRpb24gYW5kIEEgPSBQQlBfMV8uIFNvbHZlIGZvciBCIGluIHRlcm1zIG9mIEEgPSBQQlBfMV9fLg0KDQpIYXBweXdvb2QgRXV0YWJsZXMNCg0KTG92ZSBlZmZlY3QgYXMgdGhpcyBpdCBidXQgdXM
thepatient

Homework Statement

Suppose P is invertible and A = PBP^-1. Solve for B in terms of A.

Homework Equations

(AB)^-1 = B^-1*A^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

multiply from the left of each side of the equation by P^-1:
P^-1 *A = BP^-1

Take the inverse of both sides:

(P^-1*A)^-1 = (BP^-1)^-1
A^-1 * P = P*B^-1

Multiply from the left of each side of the equation by P^-1:
P^-1*A^-1*P = B^-1

Take the inverse of both sides:

[P^-1(A^-1*P)]^-1 = B

B = (A^-1*P)^-1*P
B = P^-1 *A * P

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it looks OK but is much more complicated than it needs to be. At the first step where you have ##P^{-1}A= BP^{-1}## just multiply by ##P## on the right.

Hahaaaa. That's right. Thanks. :]

I wasn't sure if you can multiply from the right too.

thepatient said:
I wasn't sure if you can multiply from the right too.

Why not? Two matrices can be multiplied as long as their row and column numbers match up properly. If all three of A, B and P (and P^(-1)) are nxn they can be multiplied in any order.

RGV

1. How do I solve for the B matrix in terms of the A matrix?

To solve for the B matrix in terms of the A matrix, you can use the inverse of the A matrix. By multiplying the inverse of A with the given matrix, you can obtain the B matrix. Keep in mind, the A matrix must be a square matrix in order to have an inverse.

2. Can I use elementary row operations to solve for the B matrix in terms of A?

Yes, you can use elementary row operations to solve for the B matrix in terms of A. This method involves manipulating the rows of the matrix to obtain a row of zeros, which will then allow you to solve for the B matrix by setting up a system of equations.

3. Is it possible to have more than one solution for the B matrix in terms of A?

No, if the A matrix is an invertible matrix, then there will only be one unique solution for the B matrix in terms of A. However, if the A matrix is not invertible, then there may be infinitely many solutions for the B matrix.

4. Can I use software to solve for the B matrix in terms of A?

Yes, there are many software programs that can solve for the B matrix in terms of A. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python's NumPy library. These programs can handle larger matrices and complex calculations more efficiently than solving by hand.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solving for the B matrix in terms of A?

There are some shortcuts and tricks that can make solving for the B matrix in terms of A easier. These include using the properties of matrix operations, such as transposing and multiplying by the identity matrix. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of matrix algebra and practice with solving similar problems.