1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for indefinite integral

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My daughter at college asked me to help her with these but it's been years since I've done them. I said I would try and then look over what she comes up with so any help would be great not so I can give her the answers but so I can tell her whether or not she on the right track and help her try to find it!

Problem 1
    ∫(t^3/2 + 2t^1/2 -4t^-1/2)dt=
    ∫t^3/2(dt) + 2∫t^1/2(dt) -4∫t^-1/2(dt)=
    2/3t^5/2 +(2)(2)t^3/2 -(4)(2)t^1/2 +c=
    2/3t^5/2+4t^3/2-8t^1/2+c

Am I anywhere near right with this one?

And the second one is:
    ∫sqrt(t)(t^2+t-1)dt
    but I have no idea where to go with it...

Thanks to any and all that help and for any help you can give.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I have so far are above!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral of t^n is t^(n+1)/(n+1). Apply that to t^(3/2) e.g. You get t^(5/2)/(5/2)=(2/5)*t^(5/2). Try and check your expression again. For the second one just multiply it out. E.g. sqrt(t)*t^2=t^(1/2)*t^(2)=t^(2+1/2)=t^(5/2). Now you've got the same kind of fractional powers as in the first part. You can also make your expression clearer with more parentheses. 2/3t^5/2 can be interpreted lots of different ways. Like ((2/(3t))^(5))/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook