Solving for k in the Exponential Decay Equation: Civil Engineering Homework Help

• Thread starter kriss_boy
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is having trouble with a civil engineering qualification question involving solving for the variable k. The conversation provides tips on how to solve the equation by undoing the steps that have been done to k. Ultimately, the answer is found to be k = ln(p1/Po) /-t.
kriss_boy

Homework Statement

Its back to college for me and studying for Civil Engineering Qualification. I am stuck on this one and don't really have anyone to turn to!

Homework Equations

P1 = P0e-kt

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to change the subject to (k) but our lecturer did not cover this type of question!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are going back to college I'm sure you learned long ago that you solve an equation by "undoing" what has been done.
There have been three things done to k (and you want to solve for k):
(1) it has been multiplied by -t
(2) the exponential has been taken
(3) that has been multiplied by P0

To undo that, do the opposite in the opposite order.
(3) To undo "multiply by P0", do the opposite: divide by P0. Dividing both sides of the equation by P0 gives You P/P0= e-kt.
(2) To undo the exponential use its inverse function, natural logarithm.
Taking the natural logarithm of both sides give ln(P/P0)= ln(e-kt)= -kt.
(3) To undo the multiplication by -t, divide by -t:
I let you both sides by -t.

So is the answer...

k = ln(p1/Po) /-t

Last edited:
Yep that's right!

Related to Solving for k in the Exponential Decay Equation: Civil Engineering Homework Help

1. What does it mean to "change the subject"?

"Changing the subject" means redirecting the conversation to a different topic or shifting the focus away from the current topic of discussion.

2. Why do people often change the subject during a conversation?

People may change the subject for various reasons, such as wanting to avoid a sensitive or uncomfortable topic, feeling uninterested in the current topic, or trying to steer the conversation towards something more relevant or interesting to them.

3. Is it considered rude to change the subject during a conversation?

It depends on the context and how it is done. If done smoothly and respectfully, it may not be considered rude. However, abruptly changing the subject or constantly interrupting the other person to redirect the conversation may be seen as impolite or dismissive.

4. How can I change the subject without being rude?

One way to change the subject politely is to acknowledge the current topic and then smoothly transition to the new topic. Another approach is to ask the other person if they would like to talk about something else or if they have any other topics they would like to discuss.

5. Are there any benefits to changing the subject during a conversation?

Yes, changing the subject can help keep a conversation flowing and prevent it from becoming stagnant or boring. It can also help steer the conversation towards something more productive or positive.