Solving for the wave function

Therefore, you can choose either A or B to be zero and still have the same overall solution. In summary, when solving for the wave function of a free particle in an infinite potential square well, you will end up with a general solution of ψ=Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx). You can then use the boundary conditions to determine the value of A or B, but it does not matter which one you choose to be zero as long as they are related by a phase shift of pi/2.
serverxeon

Homework Statement

Assume a free particle, V=0, in a infinite potential square well between -L/2 and L/2
solve for the wave function for this particle.

Homework Equations

Time independent schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

After arriving at the second order differential equation, I get a general solution of
ψ=Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx)

How do I go on to solve for A, B and k?

I've plugged in the boundary conditions, but the solution is still quite indeterminate.

I have to assume A=0, then ψ=Bsin(2n∏x/L)
however, if I assume B=0, I get ψ=Acos([2n+1]∏x/L)

which is correct?
I do need to pick one before going onto normalising right?

Physics news on Phys.org
serverxeon said:
I've plugged in the boundary conditions, but the solution is still quite indeterminate.

I have to assume A=0, then ψ=Bsin(2n∏x/L)
however, if I assume B=0, I get ψ=Acos([2n+1]∏x/L)

which is correct?
Can you find a trigonometric relation between these two solutions?

You can rewrite the solution to ψ=Aexp(ik)+Bexp(-ik) (k=2pi/λ)

when x→+∞,ψ=0.so A=0.
when x→-∞,ψ=0, so B=0

that means ψ is a segmented function.

your solution is right,and hope my answer can help you to comprenhen it in other way.

er, nope.
some pointers pls?

YOUGI said:
You can rewrite the solution to ψ=Aexp(ik)+Bexp(-ik) (k=2pi/λ)

when x→+∞,ψ=0.so A=0.
when x→-∞,ψ=0, so B=0
The wave function is limited to the range -L/2, L/2 because of the infinite wall.

serverxeon said:
er, nope.
some pointers pls?
$$\cos(x + \pi/2) = -\sin(x)$$
Your two solutions are the same

What is the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle or system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a given time.

Why is solving for the wave function important?

Solving for the wave function allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is necessary for studying and developing new technologies such as quantum computing.

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is the mathematical equation used to calculate the wave function of a particle or system. It takes into account the particle's energy and potential energy and is a key tool for solving for the wave function.

How is the wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The wave function is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems, such as their energy levels and possible outcomes of experiments.

What are some methods for solving the wave function?

There are several methods for solving the wave function, including analytical solutions, numerical approximations, and perturbation theory. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being studied.