Solving for variables as functions of other variables

In summary: Jacobian and plug the point into that to get a numerical matrix. What did you get ? Why do this ? take determinants of matrices consisting of [x/y/z u v] (or is it [x y z]?) and show that none of them are zero.What did you get ? Why do this ? Is that enough to show that the original three equations can be solved simultaneously for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) ? Aren't you mixing up with things that apply to linear equations only ? And why the question mark
gummz

Homework Statement

Show that the equations

xy^2+zu+v^2=3
x^3z+2y-uv=2
xu+yu-xyz=1
can be solved for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) and find dy/du at (u,v)=(1,1)

Homework Equations

Multivariable calculus differentiation

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if I'm doing this correctly (I don't think I am). What I did was find the Jacobian and plug the point into that to get a numerical matrix. Then I take determinants of matrices consisting of [x/y/z u v] (or is it [x y z]?) and show that none of them are zero.
Then I find the inverse of [u v] and do [u v]^-1 * [x y z]
I'm not very good at this.

Physics news on Phys.org
gummz said:
find the Jacobian and plug the point into that to get a numerical matrix.
What did you get ? Why do this ?

gummz said:
take determinants of matrices consisting of [x/y/z u v] (or is it [x y z]?) and show that none of them are zero.
What did you get ? Why do this ? Is that enough to show that the original three equations can be solved simultaneously for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) ? Aren't you mixing up with things that apply to linear equations only ? And why the question mark ?

gummz said:
find the inverse of [u v] and do [u v]^-1 * [x y z]
What did you get ? How do you do this at all ?

How whould you show that the original equations can be solved for (u, v) = (1,1) ?

gummz said:

Homework Statement

Show that the equations

xy^2+zu+v^2=3
x^3z+2y-uv=2
xu+yu-xyz=1
can be solved for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) and find dy/du at (u,v)=(1,1)
The last equation, xu+ yu- xyz= 1 is the same as (x+ y)u= xyz+ 1 so u= (xyx+ 1)/(x+ y). Putting that into the second equation gives
x^3z+ 2y- [(xyz+ 1)/(x+ y)]v= 2 or v= (x^2z+ 2y- 2)(x+y)/(xyz+1).
You should to see if, with those, xy^2+ zu+ v^2 is equal to 3. If not, the equation cannot "be solved for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v)".

2. Homework Equations
Multivariable calculus differentiation

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if I'm doing this correctly (I don't think I am). What I did was find the Jacobian and plug the point into that to get a numerical matrix. Then I take determinants of matrices consisting of [x/y/z u v] (or is it [x y z]?) and show that none of them are zero.
Then I find the inverse of [u v] and do [u v]^-1 * [x y z]
I'm not very good at this.

1. How do you solve for variables as functions of other variables?

To solve for variables as functions of other variables, you need to use algebraic equations and substitution. First, identify the variable you want to solve for and isolate it on one side of the equation. Then, substitute any known values or expressions for the other variables in the equation. Finally, solve for the variable using mathematical operations.

2. What is the purpose of solving for variables as functions of other variables?

The purpose of solving for variables as functions of other variables is to find a relationship or connection between different variables in a mathematical equation. This can help in understanding and predicting how changes in one variable will affect the other variables in the equation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for variables as functions of other variables?

Sure, let's say we have the equation y = 2x + 5 and we want to solve for x. First, we isolate x by subtracting 5 from both sides of the equation, giving us y - 5 = 2x. Then, we can substitute any value for y and solve for x. For example, if y = 10, then x = (10-5)/2 = 2. This shows that when y is 10, x is 2 in this equation.

4. Are there any specific strategies for solving for variables as functions of other variables?

Yes, there are some common strategies that can be used to solve for variables as functions of other variables. These include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and solving equations with fractions by finding a common denominator. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

5. Can solving for variables as functions of other variables be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, solving for variables as functions of other variables is often used in real-world situations such as in science, economics, and engineering. For example, scientists may use this concept to understand the relationship between different factors in an experiment, while economists may use it to analyze supply and demand in a market.