1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for variables as functions of other variables

1. Feb 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the equations

xy^2+zu+v^2=3
    x^3z+2y-uv=2
    xu+yu-xyz=1
    can be solved for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) and find dy/du at (u,v)=(1,1)

2. Relevant equations
    Multivariable calculus differentiation

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to know if I'm doing this correctly (I don't think I am). What I did was find the Jacobian and plug the point into that to get a numerical matrix. Then I take determinants of matrices consisting of [x/y/z u v] (or is it [x y z]?) and show that none of them are zero.
    Then I find the inverse of [u v] and do [u v]^-1 * [x y z]
    I'm not very good at this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get ? Why do this ?

What did you get ? Why do this ? Is that enough to show that the original three equations can be solved simultaneously for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v) near the point (x,y,z,u,v)=(1,1,1,1,1) ? Aren't you mixing up with things that apply to linear equations only ? And why the question mark ?

What did you get ? How do you do this at all ?

How whould you show that the original equations can be solved for (u, v) = (1,1) ?

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The last equation, xu+ yu- xyz= 1 is the same as (x+ y)u= xyz+ 1 so u= (xyx+ 1)/(x+ y). Putting that into the second equation gives
    x^3z+ 2y- [(xyz+ 1)/(x+ y)]v= 2 or v= (x^2z+ 2y- 2)(x+y)/(xyz+1).
    You should to see if, with those, xy^2+ zu+ v^2 is equal to 3. If not, the equation cannot "be solved for (x,y,z) as functions of (u,v)".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted