Solving for Volume: Triple Integral of Wedge in Cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
schaefera
Messages
208
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Why does 2*Integral (r dz dr dt) for 0<z<rcos(t), 0<r<a, 0<t<pi/2 equal (2a^3)/3, when Integral (r dz dr dt) for 0<z<rcos(t), 0<r<a, 0<t<pi equal 0? All you are doing is using the fact that rcos(t) is an even function to make the limits easier, right?


Homework Equations


I'm practicing finding the volume of a known cross section with a wedge taken out from a cylinder at an angle of pi/4 radians; and I'm using the triple integral to check me work.


The Attempt at a Solution


My question more arose out of confusion than it being an assigned problem, but I can't quite figure it out!
Thanks for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just because the integral of cos(t) over 0<t<pi/2 is 1. And the integral of cos(t) over 0<t<pi is 0. cos(t) is negative on (pi/2,pi).
 
So to do this problem is it ok to take that 2 out and double the region of 0 to pi/2 because we want volume, which obviously can't be 0?
 
schaefera said:
So to do this problem is it ok to take that 2 out and double the region of 0 to pi/2 because we want volume, which obviously can't be 0?

I have no idea. What problem are you actually trying to solve??