Solving Misfire in CNG Engine: Q&A

• Thread starter tworitdash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, the speaker has noticed that in a bi-fuel vehicle that runs on both CNG and gasoline, the exhaust catalyst temperature is higher in gasoline mode when there are the same misfire rates. However, at lower misfire rates, the temperature is higher in CNG mode, which is unusual. The speaker has searched for explanations for this, but has only found explanations related to the latent heat and molecule size of CNG and gasoline, but not a specific explanation for the observed temperature differences. The speaker believes that the difference in emissions between the two fuels could be a factor, but is not well-informed on the topic.
tworitdash
I have some questions regarding my observations of a misfiring bi-fuel vehicle (CNG and Gasoline).

1. For same misfire rates, in Gasoline mode, the exhaust catalyst temperature is higher than the in CNG mode.

2. For lower misfire rates, in CNG, the temperature is higher than with higher misfire rates, which is unusual as far as misfire is concerned.

3. At lower misfire rates (less than 10), the temperature with CNG is higher than Gasoline.

I have searched for fuel type specific explanations for these observations, but hardly I could get a proper answer which explains why it's happening. I have got explanations with latent heat of CNG and Gasoline and explanations like more CNG gas cooling the catalyst because the molecule size is very less in CNG than Gasoline.

That's why I wanted to get a proper explanation to this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
tworitdash said:
I have searched for fuel type specific explanations for these observations, but hardly I could get a proper answer which explains why it's happening. I have got explanations with latent heat of CNG and Gasoline and explanations like more CNG gas cooling the catalyst because the molecule size is very less in CNG than Gasoline.
I am barely aware of the implications, but I offer this tid-bit. Compressed Natural Gas would have far less CO2 emissions and require obviously less catalysis than gasoline combustion emissions.

Related to Solving Misfire in CNG Engine: Q&A

1. What causes a misfire in a CNG engine?

A misfire in a CNG engine can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty spark plugs, a malfunctioning fuel injector, a clogged air filter, or a problem with the ignition system.

2. How can I diagnose a misfire in my CNG engine?

To diagnose a misfire in a CNG engine, you can use a diagnostic tool to check for error codes, visually inspect the spark plugs and ignition coils, and perform a compression test to check for any issues with the engine's cylinders.

3. How can I fix a misfire in my CNG engine?

The solution for fixing a misfire in a CNG engine will depend on the specific cause. It may involve replacing faulty spark plugs or ignition coils, cleaning or replacing a clogged fuel injector, or tuning up the engine's ignition system.

4. Can a misfire in a CNG engine cause damage?

If left untreated, a misfire in a CNG engine can cause damage over time. It can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, increased emissions, and potential damage to the catalytic converter or other engine components.

5. How can I prevent a misfire in my CNG engine?

To prevent a misfire in a CNG engine, it is important to regularly maintain the engine and its components. This includes replacing spark plugs and air filters at recommended intervals, using high-quality fuel, and keeping the engine's ignition system in good condition.