Solving non-linear frequency problem, NMR

In summary, The conversation discusses a tricky problem involving solid state NMR data in 3D and determining the unknowns A, B, and C. The coefficients in front of the unknowns are known and can be written as a singular 3x3 matrix. The frequencies in the phase are derived from Average Hamiltonian theory. The participants in the conversation discuss various methods and approaches for finding a solution, including using a shearing transformation and including third order effects on a non-symmetric transition. However, the problem remains difficult and challenging.
zeta
Hi All;
Long time reader, first time poster.
Here's a tricky one. I have a solid state NMR set of data in 3D. Let's say the signal phases
in the three dimensions are:
exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_1)
exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_2)
exp(i*(A+B*C+C)t_3)

given the information, one should be able to (in theory) determine A,B,C... however given the fact that there is a patently non-linear term this is non-trivial. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since A, B and C enter the same way in every equation, they cannot be separated.

sorry, I should have included the fact that there are coefficients in front of the unknowns ie.,
one can write the coefficients as a 3*3 matrix which is singular.
The frequencies in the phase are derived from Average Hamiltonian theory
thanks for the interest!

ED: error

ps if someone can think of a transform or method for solution, then you will at the very least get an acknowledgment on a paper

Still don't get it. Do the coefficients differ in the 3 eqns? Are they known?

It would help if you can make a more detailed and exact statement of the problem.

Here's what the phases amount to in terms of equations:

a*A+b*B*C+c*C
d*A+e*B*C+f*C
g*A+h*B*C+i*C

I would like to solve for A,B,C given the coefficients, which depend on the spin angular momentum quantum numbers of the transitions (r <-> c), as well as Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.
In the mid nineties frydman introduced the shearing transformation whereby in 2d NMR one may remove the quadrupolar anisotropy ( term C) by essentially eliminating this from line 2 (indirect detected dimension, delta m \neq +/- 1) by multiplying line two by a multiple of line one (direct detected dimension, delta m = +/- 1).
In the indirect dimension the frequency is thus a linear sum of the isotropic contributions, terms A, B.

ED: errors

hence the MO for doing 3d is to completely isolate the isotropic frequencies

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the non-linearity, but if your coefficient matrix is truly singular then i think you are hosed. Can you vary your experiment to get a matrix that's non-singular? (Well-conditioned is better yet!)

Can you get additional info some other way? My NMR knowledge is poor so I'll probably embarass myself with this question, but how about double-quantum coherence?

yes, 'hosed' is the right word for it. The underlying problem is the linear dependence of the C-G coefficients unfortunately. However I think you hit the nail viz more information and this is the tack I was taking. The second line is in fact double quantum (the third triple) and my thought was to lift the linear dependence by including third order effects on this non-symmetric transition (3/2<->-1/2), but then my elegant paper/experiment goes to hell. such is life I guess...

thanks for the advice!

That's usually the way it goes. If it were easy someone would already have done it...

yeah, ain't physics grand :)

1. What is non-linear frequency problem in NMR?

The non-linear frequency problem in NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) refers to the phenomenon where the resonance frequency of a nucleus changes as the strength of the external magnetic field changes. This can lead to overlapping signals and difficulties in accurately interpreting the NMR spectrum.

2. What causes non-linear frequency problem in NMR?

The non-linear frequency problem in NMR is caused by the coupling between the magnetic field and the nuclear spins. As the magnetic field strength changes, the energy levels of the nuclei also change, resulting in a shift in the resonance frequency.

3. How is the non-linear frequency problem addressed in NMR experiments?

The non-linear frequency problem can be addressed through a technique called field-frequency locking, where the magnetic field strength is adjusted to keep the resonance frequency at a constant value. Additionally, advanced pulse sequences and data processing methods can also be used to correct for the non-linear frequency effects.

4. Can the non-linear frequency problem be completely eliminated in NMR experiments?

No, the non-linear frequency problem cannot be completely eliminated in NMR experiments. However, it can be minimized through careful experimental design and data processing techniques.

5. How does non-linear frequency problem affect the accuracy of NMR data?

The non-linear frequency problem can lead to overlapping signals and distortions in the NMR spectrum, which can make it difficult to accurately interpret the data. It is important to address this issue in order to obtain reliable and meaningful results from NMR experiments.