Solving Odd Elliptic Equation with Greens Functions

• Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date
You could always try it out with a simple example first before tackling the full problem.In summary, we have a discussion about solving an elliptic equation using Laplace transforms and Green functions. The Laplace transform method proves to be difficult and the individual is now considering using Green functions and seeking advice on how to approach it. Green functions are recommended as a good way to solve the problem, and it is suggested to consult textbooks on scattering theory or math methods for more information. The use of numerical methods is also suggested for computing the constants needed for the boundary conditions.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
I have the following elliptic equation that I must solve:
[tex]
a\frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial y^{2}}+\frac{\partial^{2}\phi}{\partial u^{2}}+b\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial u}=-ce^{-y^{2}}
[/tex]
Where a,b and c are constants. Along with the conditions:
[tex]
\phi (y,0)=\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial u}(y,0)=0,\quad\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\phi (y,u)=\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y}(y,u)=0
[/tex]
I have tried the usual approach using Laplace transforms but I got into a horrible mess with looking at the particular solution which involved horrible things like complimentary error functions and the like. As well as that mess, computing the inverse transforms were waay waay to hard as I had to look at [tex]\sqrt{\alpha s^{2}+\beta s}[/tex] where s was my Laplace transform variable and I had no idea what to do regarding them so I dropped that method.

My current idea is to use Greens functions but I don't know a great deal about them and was after some advice.

Regards

Mat

Physics news on Phys.org
Using Green functions would be a good way to solve this. The homogeneous equation is separable and has exponential solutions. After imposing the boundary conditions, I believe you'll need to use Gram-Schmidt to construct an orthonormal basis for the solution space. The Green function can then be obtained as a series expansion in terms of these orthonormal basis. Finally the solutions to the inhomogeneous equation can be obtained in the usual manner by integrating the forcing function.

I have tried looking at the problem from the point of view of Laplace transform and as you can see I haven't gotten very far at all. I have no idea how to go about inverting the Laplace transform. The Homogeneous solution has sin and cos solutions and I feel that they will inverse transform to zero which doesn't help me much.

It looks as if I will have to learn some Green's functions. Can you recommend anything?

Mat

Attachments

• 2D_plasma.pdf
    71.1 KB · Views: 190
Any EM or QM text that discusses scattering theory will contain a discussion of Green functions, as will any decent math methods book. I would look at Arfken or Jackson myself, but you may prefer something else.

Did you have a look at the Laplace transform thing I did? Did it look promising?

Mat

hunt_mat said:
Did you have a look at the Laplace transform thing I did? Did it look promising?

Mat

I hadn't looked too closely, but did now. It might be fine if you want to do the integrals numerically. Of course, there's no guarantee that the Green function method will give a result that can be expressed in a nice form either. But it seems like a good exercise to learn the method regardless.

There is the boundary conditions to consider. We need to compute the constants. Can we do this numerically?

hunt_mat said:
There is the boundary conditions to consider. We need to compute the constants. Can we do this numerically?

I've never studied numerical methods in much detail, but I'd expect you can turn it into a root-finding problem which is well-suited to numerical methods.

Related to Solving Odd Elliptic Equation with Greens Functions

1. What is an odd elliptic equation?

An odd elliptic equation is a type of partial differential equation that involves a second-order derivative and has an odd symmetry. This means that if you change the sign of one of the variables, the equation remains the same. In other words, the equation is invariant under reflection about a certain point or line.

2. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve certain types of differential equations, including odd elliptic equations. It is a solution to the equation with a delta function as the source term, and it can be used to find the solution for any other source term by convolving it with the source.

3. How do you solve an odd elliptic equation using Green's functions?

To solve an odd elliptic equation using Green's functions, you first need to find the Green's function for the specific equation. This involves solving the equation with a delta function as the source term and then applying boundary conditions. Once the Green's function is found, you can use it to find the solution for any other source term by convolving it with the source.

4. What are some applications of solving odd elliptic equations with Green's functions?

Solving odd elliptic equations with Green's functions has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is particularly useful for solving boundary value problems, such as heat conduction in materials with odd symmetry or electromagnetic fields in odd-shaped structures.

5. Are there any limitations to solving odd elliptic equations with Green's functions?

While Green's functions are a powerful tool for solving certain types of differential equations, they may not always be applicable or practical for solving odd elliptic equations. In some cases, it may be more efficient to use other numerical or analytical methods. Additionally, finding the Green's function for a specific equation can be a complex and time-consuming process.