Solving ODE: Get Help with y''(x)+(μ^2*c(x)+k^2)y=0

• Thread starter gleonard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, solving the ODE y''(x)+(μ^{2}*c(x)+k^{2})y=0 where c(x)=A+Btanh(ρx) with constant A,B,ρ,μ,k is not a straightforward process. There is no general method for finding the solution, and it often requires complicated algorithms or numerical methods. The solution, when the constants are unspecified, is a page long hypergeometric solution, which can be reduced for specific values of the constants but is still not simple. In this case, using a numerical approach may be more practical. However, if you are interested in the asymptotic properties of the solution, the analytic solution can be helpful. To find the analytic solution, it
gleonard
I have no idea how to start solving this ODE:

y''(x)+(μ^{2}*c(x)+k^{2})y=0

Where c(x)=A+Btanh(ρx) with constant A,B,ρ,μ,k

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is not a general method for finding the solution (if it exists) to y'' + f(x)*y = 0, so if f(x) is complicated you usually need complicated algorithms and the solution cannot be found by hand anymore.

When the constants remain unspecified, the solution is a page long hypergeometric solution (computed with Maple). For certain specific values for the constants this could perhaps be reduced to a more compact solution, but the general solution is not simple.

bigfooted said:
There is not a general method for finding the solution (if it exists) to y'' + f(x)*y = 0, so if f(x) is complicated you usually need complicated algorithms and the solution cannot be found by hand anymore.

When the constants remain unspecified, the solution is a page long hypergeometric solution (computed with Maple). For certain specific values for the constants this could perhaps be reduced to a more compact solution, but the general solution is not simple.

Thanks for your reply bigfooted,

I have been told I need to use hypergeometric solutions, (sorry for not mentioning this), but I have never seen them before. I have found the basic form of a hypergeometric series but I don't know how to apply this.

Do you require the solution to be analytic?

Edit: scratch that. I think you answered that in your reply

gleonard said:
Thanks for your reply bigfooted,

I have been told I need to use hypergeometric solutions, (sorry for not mentioning this), but I have never seen them before. I have found the basic form of a hypergeometric series but I don't know how to apply this.

If you have to deal with hypergeometric functions, it may be better just to solve your equation numerically. There are some computer packages that calculate hypergeometic functions, but if you end up having to deal with something more complicated than the standard hypergeometric function ##_2 F_1(a,b;c;z)##, it's probably not worth it to try and use them. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the solution. Are you interested in just what the solution looks like for certain parameter choices, or do you want to know how it changes with your parameters (e.g., the asymptotic properties of the solution)?

Your equation can be simplified by writing it in a non-dimensionalized form,
$$y''(t) + (\tilde{A} + \tilde{B}\tanh(t))y(t) = 0,$$
by making the change of variables ##t = \rho x## and writing ##\tilde{A} = (\mu^2 A + k^2)/\rho^2## and ##\tilde{B} = \mu^2 B/\rho^2##. This is simpler for programs like Mathematica to handle.

Using Mathematica, for arbitrary ##\tilde{A}## and ##\tilde{B}##, shows that the solution is indeed in terms of ##_2 F_1##, so you could write down the closed form solution and use a routine for computing ##_2F_1##, but it might not give you much advantage over just solving the equation numerically. You may be able to extract some asymptotic properties from the analytic solution, however.

If your goal is to demonstrate the solution by hand yourself, then you should probably try to make a change of variables to help cast the non-dimensionalized equation into the form of the hypergeometric equation,

$$z(z-1)\frac{d^2 w}{dz^2}+[c-(a+b+1)z]\frac{dw}{dz} - a b w = 0.$$

See wikipedia article for the set of possible solutions in terms of ##_2 F_1## for this equation.

Related to Solving ODE: Get Help with y''(x)+(μ^2*c(x)+k^2)y=0

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and the derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to those independent variables.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

ODEs can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. The specific method used depends on the type of ODE and its initial conditions.

3. What is y''(x)?

y''(x) represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to the independent variable x. It is also known as the double derivative of y.

4. What is μ^2*c(x)+k^2?

This is the general form of the coefficient term in the ODE y''(x)+(μ^2*c(x)+k^2)y=0. The values of μ and k can vary depending on the specific ODE being solved, but they are typically constants while c(x) is a function of the independent variable x.

5. Why is it important to solve ODEs?

ODEs are used to model real-world phenomena in many fields including physics, engineering, and biology. Solving ODEs allows scientists to make predictions, analyze systems, and understand complex behaviors in these fields.