1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving ODEs with Laplace.

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    I have the following 2 problems to solve using Laplace.

1) x'' + 3x' +2x=e^(-t); with x=dx/dt=0 when t = 0
    2) x'' - 2x' +10x=e^(2t); with x=0 and dx/dt=1 when t=0
    Where x' is dx/dt and x'' is the second derivative against time.

My attempts:

1)Using laplace I get

s2X(s)-x(0)-x'(0)+3sX(s)-x(0)+2X(s)=1/(s+1)

with x(0)=0, x'(0)=0 then

X(s)=1 over (s+1)(s2+3s+2) which is 1/[(s+1)(s+1)(s+2)] or 1/[(s+1)2(s+2)]
    Using partial fraction
    1/[(s+1)2(s+2)]=A/(s+1)+B/(s+1)2+C/(s+2).

I'll avoid doing the calcs; I may have made a mistake here, but I checked multiple times and didnt find and error.

A=10/12, B=-1/6 and C=-1 so that, after doing inverse laplace

x(t)=5/6e-t-1/6t*e-t-e-2t
    But here's the issue. With this, x(0)=/=0. It's -1/6. and dx(0)/dt=1. I can't figure out where I went wrong.

2)The laplace transform is
    s2 X(s)-x(0)-x'(0)-2sX(s)-x(0)+10X(s)=1/(s-2)
    with x'(0)=1 this rearranges to

X(s)(s2-2s+10)=1/(s-2)+1=(s-1)/(s-2)
    X(s)=(s-1)/[(s-2)(s2-2s+10)]

This is where I helplessly run around in circles. The quadratic roots are complex, and whilst they discomfort me only slightly, the issue is that I cannot rearrange this into a suitable form where the inverse laplace can be done.

Laplace+Transform+Pairs.JPG
    Taken from http://www.therationaltheorist.org/2009/11/fourier-analysis-and-odes.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There's nothing that jumps out at me on how you set things up, but your answer is incorrect.

Using a different method, I got x(t) = (1/3)e-2t - (1/3)e-t - (1/3)te-t.

First place I'd check is the partial fractions decomposition. Can you verify that
    $$ \frac{10/12}{s + 1} + \frac{-1/6}{(s + 1)^2} + \frac{-1}{s + 2} = \frac{1}{(s + 1)^2(s + 2)} ?$$

4. Apr 5, 2014 #3
    I think I've noticed where I've made the mistake: left hand side of the partial fractions.

s+1=A(s+1)^2(s+2)+B(s+1)(s+2)+C(s+1)^3, not 1=A(s+1)^2(s+2)+B(s+1)(s+2)+C(s+1)^3 for which I calculated.

EDIT:

A=-1
    B=1
    C=1
    Is what at I get now.
    x(t)=e^(-2t)+te^(-t)-e^(-t) which is equal to 0 on t=0, and the derivative is 0 as well.
    However this answer is different from the above.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  5. Apr 5, 2014 #4

Mark44

I agree with your new answer. I checked my previous answer, but apparently not well enough, as it was incorrect.

I'll take a look at your other question in a bit.

6. Apr 5, 2014 #5

Mark44

For the second problem, look at the eatcos(ωt) and eatsin(ωt) entries in your table. The expression s2 - 2s + 10 can be written as s2 - 2s + 1 + 9, and factored as (s - 1)2 + 32

Your solution will involve some linear combination of three functions: etsin(3t), etcos(3t), and e2t.

7. Apr 5, 2014 #6
    Many thanks.

8. Apr 5, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can I do my usual rant about how I dislike the whole "Laplace Transform" method? Of course, it is much easier to do both of these 'directly'. The "characteristic" equation for x''+ 3x'+ 2= 0 is [itex]r^+ 3r+ 2= (r+ 2)(r+ 1)= 0[/itex]. which has solutions -2 and -1 so the general solution is [itex]x= Ce^{-2t}+ De^{-t}[/itex]. Then find a particular solution to the entire equation by "undetermined coefficients"- try [itex]x= Ate^{-t}[/itex].

The second equation has characteristic equation [itex]r^2+ 2r-10= (r+ 5)(r- 2)= 0[/itex]. And you can try [itex]x= Ate^{2t}[/itex] for a specific solution to the equation.

9. Apr 5, 2014 #8

Mark44

I agree, and that's the way I did them.

No, those aren't the factors. As it turns out, the roots of the characteristic equation are complex; namely, r = 1 ##\pm 3i##.
    xp = Ae2t will work as a particular solution, as there are no repeated roots of the third-degree characteristic equation (thinking in terms of annihilators).

10. Apr 6, 2014 #9
    It was a past examination task.

I'm not particularly impressed by the Laplace transforms. I do see the convenience but I find it is mostly overshadowed by the need to be able to articulate numbers and expressions around very well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted