Solving partial differential equation

In summary, the individual is seeking help with solving a partial differential equation and has provided the equation and solution as an image. They are unsure of the derivation and are hoping for assistance. They have not attempted to solve the problem yet and the article they are referencing does not provide a detailed solution. They are also looking for clarification on the context and properties of the equation, such as whether it is an ODE or PDE, linear or nonlinear, and the order, dependent variable, and independent variable.
Lyndz
Hi all ,

I would like to solve the following partial differential equation.

(∂α/∂t)=G[sub(α)] *(a'-a)

I attached the equation and solution here as an image.
I don't know how it was derived.

I hope someone can help me

Attachments

• equation.png
    equation.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
Lyndz said:
Hi all ,
I would like to solve the following partial differential equation.
(∂α/∂t)=G[sub(α)] *(a'-a)
I attached the equation and solution here as an image.

I don't know how it was derived.
I hope someone can help me
What have you tried in attempting to solve the problem?

none yet...The article that I am reading just gave the equation and the answer but no detailed solution

What is the article? The context of the equation? What is it trying to tell you?

And: how much do you know about differential equations?
can you find the following properties:
ODE or PDE?
linear or nonlinear?
order?
dependent variable?
independent variable?
Classifying the equation will narrow down your solution methods.

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its partial derivatives, and is commonly used in physics and engineering to model complex systems.

2. How do you solve a PDE?

Solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given boundary conditions. This can be done using various analytical and numerical methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or finite difference methods. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and the problem at hand.

3. What are the applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, population dynamics, and financial markets.

4. What are the differences between ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and PDEs?

The main difference between ODEs and PDEs is that ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. This means that the solution to an ODE is a function of a single variable, while the solution to a PDE is a function of multiple variables.

5. Are there any real-life examples of PDEs?

There are many real-life examples of PDEs, such as the heat equation, which describes the distribution of heat in a solid object, or the Navier-Stokes equations, which are used to model fluid flow. Other examples include the Black-Scholes equation for pricing financial options and the Lotka-Volterra equations for modeling predator-prey interactions in ecology.