Solving Physics Homework: Rowing Boats, Relativity, and Cannonball Velocity

In summary, persons A and B are rowing boats due east, with B moving at 0.5c and A at 0.7c, both relative to the earth. They are 3 light seconds apart, with B north of A. A throws a stopwatch straight up at 0.5c in their reference frame as they pass B, who fires a cannonball at a 45 degree angle to the horizon. If the cannon was fired at the same time as the stopwatch, the muzzle velocity can be found by taking into account the horizontal and vertical velocities of the stopwatch as seen by B, and using 3D-geometry in B's system.
Dgonzo15

Homework Statement

Persons A and B are rowing boats due east. B at .5c, and A at .7c, both relative to the earth, and are in parallel tracks 3 light seconds apart (B is north of A). A starts out behind B, but as A passes B, A throws a stopwatch straight up at .5c in A's reference frame. B fires a cannonball due south at a 45 degree angle to the horizon and it strikes the stop watch. If B fired the cannon the same time A threw the stopwatch, what is the muzzle velocity of the cannon?

Homework Equations

u'(x)=(u-v)/(1-(uv)/c^2)
u'(y)=u(y)/(γ(1-(u(x)v)/c^2))
γ=1/√(1-(v^2/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made a million attempts, and keep getting the answer wrong according to the answer key.

WHAT I did first was convert the speed at which the watch was thrown relative to B (I did not include horizontal velocity in the first try, assuming the cannon was shot STRAIGHT south). After I got the vertical velocity of the watch in B's R.F (√(3)c/4), I used simple trig (given the 3 light seconds apart and the watch's velocity) to find a velocity for the cannon of .612c.
This was the wrong answer, so in my second attempt,

I included the horizontal velocity of the stopwatch as well (because A is moving, and I got 4c/13). With that, I again used some trig with multiple triangles to get the velocity of the cannonball (which, obviously couldn't have pointed EXACTLY south due to the horizontal motion of the watch) and got an answer of .685c, which is still wrong. Can anybody help??

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get as new vertical velocity of the stopwatch (as seen by B), if you take the motion of A into account?

Once you know this (together with the correct 4c/13 horizontal motion), the muzzle velocity is just 3D-geometry in B's system.

What is a "Hard Modern Physics Problem"?

A "Hard Modern Physics Problem" is a complex and challenging problem that requires advanced concepts and techniques from modern physics to solve.

What are some examples of "Hard Modern Physics Problems"?

Examples of "Hard Modern Physics Problems" include quantum entanglement, black holes, dark matter, and the nature of time.

Why are "Hard Modern Physics Problems" important?

"Hard Modern Physics Problems" are important because they push the boundaries of our understanding of the physical world and can lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in technology.

How do scientists approach solving "Hard Modern Physics Problems"?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, experiments, and advanced mathematics to tackle "Hard Modern Physics Problems". They also collaborate and share ideas with other scientists in the field.

Is there a solution to every "Hard Modern Physics Problem"?

There is not always a definitive solution to "Hard Modern Physics Problems". Some problems may have multiple possible solutions, while others may remain unsolved or even prove to be unsolvable.