Solving Polynomial Algebra in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2

In summary: Add x to itself to get 2x, divide by x^2+1 to get 2, remainder is 2x. In summary, F[x] in Z_3[x] is the set of all polynomials of degree no higher than 2, with coefficients in Z_3. Addition and multiplication are defined modulo 1+x^2. The members are 0,1,x,x+1, and x^2. To fill in the addition table, add two polynomials and take the remainder after division by 1+x^2, keeping coefficients in Z_3.
wu_weidong
Hi all, I have trouble understanding polynomial algebra.

Let F[x] in Z_3[x] be the set of all polynomials modulo 1+x^2 where Z_3[x] is the set of all polynomials with coefficients in Z_3. Addition and multiplication are defined in the usual way but modulo 1+x^2 and the arithmetic of the coefficients are in Z_3. Compute the addition table.

I don't know what members are in F[x]. Are they 1,x,1+x and x^2, that is, permutations of polynomials of degree no higher than 2? I'm trying to draw similarities between polynomial modulo and integer modulo, where I know for the latter, members of Z_p are {0,1,...,p-1}.

Also, after I know what the members are, do I fill in the table by considering all possible "combinations", i.e. 1+x is obtained from the 1-row and x-column of the table, divide that "combination" by 1+x^2, keeping coefficients in Z_3 then take the remainder as the result?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne

Physics news on Phys.org
You were taught polynomial division at high school, probably, when you did integration. That's all it is: remainder on division by x^2+1. So the elements are 0,1,x,x+1,x^2.
'Combination' is just 'add and take remainder after division by x^2+1'. So 1 added to x^2 is 0.

Hi Rayne,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns about polynomial algebra in Z_3[x] modulo 1+x^2. I understand that it can be confusing at first, but with some practice and understanding of the concept, you will be able to solve these problems easily.

To answer your question, the members of F[x] are indeed permutations of polynomials of degree no higher than 2. In other words, they are polynomials with coefficients in Z_3, but with a restriction that the highest degree term must be x^2 or lower. So, examples of members of F[x] could be 1, x, 2x^2+1, 2x+2, etc.

To compute the addition table, we first need to define the addition operation in F[x]. As mentioned in the problem, addition and multiplication are defined in the usual way, but modulo 1+x^2. This means that we perform addition and multiplication as we would normally do with polynomials, but then we take the remainder when divided by 1+x^2. So, for example, (2x+1) + (x^2+2) would be (2x+1) + (x^2+2) = (x^2+2x+3) which, when divided by 1+x^2, gives us a remainder of 2x+1. This is the result we would put in the addition table for the entry corresponding to (2x+1) and (x^2+2).

To fill in the table, you can indeed consider all possible "combinations" of polynomials and perform the addition operation as described above. Remember to keep the coefficients in Z_3 and take the remainder when divided by 1+x^2. I suggest starting with simpler polynomials and then gradually moving on to more complex ones to get a better understanding.

I hope this helps clear your doubts about solving polynomial algebra in Z_3[x] modulo 1+x^2. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Best regards,

Related to Solving Polynomial Algebra in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2

1. What is Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2?

Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2 is a mathematical concept that involves solving polynomial algebra equations in the ring of integers modulo 3, with the additional restriction that the polynomial 1+x^2 is set to 0.

2. How is polynomial algebra solved in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2?

To solve polynomial algebra equations in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2, you can use the standard methods of polynomial division, substitution, and factoring. However, you must also remember to set any instances of 1+x^2 to 0 in the final answer.

3. What is the significance of setting 1+x^2 to 0 in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2?

Setting 1+x^2 to 0 in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2 is equivalent to working with polynomials in the quotient ring Z_3[x]/(1+x^2). This restriction is important because it allows us to work with polynomials of degree 1 or less, which is necessary for solving equations in this ring.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a polynomial algebra equation in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2?

Sure, let's solve the equation x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0 in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2. We can rewrite this equation as x^2 + 2x = 2. Then, we can factor out x to get x(x+2) = 2. Setting x+2 to 0, we get x = 1 as the solution to this equation.

5. What are some practical applications of solving polynomial algebra in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2?

Solving polynomial algebra equations in Z_3[x] Modulo 1+x^2 can be used in fields such as coding theory, cryptography, and error correction. It can also be used in the study of finite fields and their applications in computer science and engineering.