Solving Problem with Siphon: Vacation Plant Watering System

• Thread starter braxx20
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a watering system for plants while on vacation using a siphon with a hose, bucket, and timer. However, there is a slight decrease in the water level in the bucket every day, suggesting a possible pinhole in the hose or accumulation of air. Despite this, the siphon still works but not completely. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check the timer as the water may be leaving the bucket faster than it is coming in.
braxx20
question -- When I go on vacation I set up a watering system for my plants.
I set up a siphon by placing one end of a 30 foot hose in my toilet tank and
the other in a bucket with a submersible pump and timer. It works very well
BUT every day the level in the bucket is reduced slightly. After a week the
bucket is only half full.
The syphon is obviously working but not completely. The only thing I can
theorize is that there is a pinhole in the hose that allows some air to
enter. Or maybe dissolved air accumulates in the hose between cycles
.HOWEVER, how can the syphon work at all then?
Note: the hose exits the tank and then runs along the floor and then up and
over and into the bucket.
Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you check the timer? Maybe the water is leaving the bucket faster than it is coming in.

mathman said:
Did you check the timer? Maybe the water is leaving the bucket faster than it is coming in.

That is not a problem. The timer is only on for a few minutes and then the bucket(never empty) re-fills from the siphon action - only a little less each day

Related to Solving Problem with Siphon: Vacation Plant Watering System

1. How does a siphon work?

A siphon is a simple device that uses atmospheric pressure to move liquid from a higher level to a lower level. It consists of a tube that is filled with liquid, with one end placed in a higher container and the other end placed in a lower container. As the liquid flows out of the higher container due to gravity, it creates a vacuum in the tube, which pulls more liquid from the higher container into the tube and down into the lower container.

2. Can a siphon be used for watering plants during a vacation?

Yes, a siphon can be used as part of a vacation plant watering system. By placing one end of the siphon in a water source and the other end in a plant's soil, the siphon can continuously transfer water to the plant while you are away.

3. How much water can a siphon transfer?

The amount of water a siphon can transfer depends on the length and diameter of the tube, as well as the water source's height and the receiving container's location. Generally, the longer and wider the tube, and the greater the height difference between the two containers, the more water it can transfer.

4. What are the benefits of using a siphon for plant watering?

A siphon can be a cost-effective and low-maintenance solution for watering plants during a vacation. It does not require any electricity or complex mechanisms, and it can continuously transfer water as long as there is a water source available.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a siphon for plant watering?

While siphons are generally safe to use, there are a few potential risks to keep in mind. If the receiving container is not large enough, the water may overflow and damage the plant or surrounding area. Additionally, if the siphon is not properly set up, it may fail to transfer water or create a mess. It is important to carefully follow instructions and test the siphon before relying on it for vacation plant watering.