Solving problems in function notation

In summary, to find g(3), we can use the given equations to manipulate and solve for g(1), which can then be substituted into g(2x+1) to find g(3). This results in an answer of 14.
Daringpear

Homework Statement

Given that:
g (1)=3
g (2x+1)=4g (x)+x+1

Find g (3)

Homework Equations

The awnser is 14. (Taken out of a PSAT workbook)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that g(2x+1) refers to a series of transformations (horizontal dilation, up 1) of g(x)
Once g(x) is found, g(3) can easily be solved. The problem is, that I have no idea how to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second equation tells you how to find [itex]g(2x + 1)[/itex] if you already know [itex]g(x)[/itex].

For which value of [itex]x[/itex] do you already know [itex]g(x)[/itex]?

Daringpear said:

Homework Statement

Given that:
g (1)=3
g (2x+1)=4g (x)+x+1

Find g (3)

Homework Equations

The awnser is 14. (Taken out of a PSAT workbook)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that g(2x+1) refers to a series of transformations (horizontal dilation, up 1) of g(x)
Once g(x) is found, g(3) can easily be solved. The problem is, that I have no idea how to find it.
To me it appears you think a little bit too complicated.
Can you write ##3## as ##2x+1## and what does it tell you about ##x##?

Ah! Your suggestions make sense!

When substituting x for one,

g(2(1)+1)=4g(1)+1+1
g(3)=4(3)+2
g(3)=12+2
g(3)=14

1. What is function notation?

Function notation is a way of representing mathematical functions using symbols and letters. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to describe relationships between variables.

2. How do I solve problems in function notation?

To solve problems in function notation, you need to understand the basic principles of algebra and be able to manipulate equations. Start by substituting the given values into the function and then using algebraic operations to simplify the equation.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid in solving problems in function notation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems in function notation include forgetting to substitute the given values into the function, making errors in algebraic operations, and not following the correct order of operations.

4. Can you give an example of solving a problem in function notation?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = 2x + 3 and we are given the value of x as 4. To solve for f(4), we substitute x = 4 into the function, giving us f(4) = 2(4) + 3 = 11. Therefore, f(4) = 11.

5. How can I apply function notation in real-world situations?

Function notation can be used to represent real-world situations, such as the relationship between distance and time in a moving object. It can also be used in economics to represent the relationship between variables like demand and price. By understanding function notation, you can better analyze and solve problems in a variety of fields.