Solving Quadratic Field Problems with Quick Tips - PhysicsForums

In summary, the conversation discusses a question posted in a thread on PhysicsForums regarding an example in which it was listed that \lambda = (3+\sqrt{-3})/2 \in \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3}], and the text states that "x,y, and z are quadratic integers in \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{-3}], where x^3 + y^3 = z^3." The discussion involves trying to understand how \lambda can divide one of x,y, or z, with hints given including factoring x^3 + y^3 and using the GCD. The conversation also mentions the importance of having a solid background in abstract algebra, specifically Galois theory, when learning
Brimley
Hello PhysicsForums!

I had posted a question earlier today in another thread and I had a follow up question to it (the question in nature isn't extremely related, but the link can be found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2964009#post2964009").

In the previous example, it was listed that [itex]\lambda = (3+\sqrt{-3})/2 \in \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3}][/itex].

The text states the following:

"[itex]x,y,[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are quadratic integers in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{-3}][/itex], where [itex]x^3 + y^3 = z^3[/itex]." From here it can be shown that [itex]\lambda[/itex] can divide one of [itex]x,y,[/itex] or [itex]z[/itex].

Can anyone help explain this? I don't know if reducing the equation modula [itex]\lambda^3[/itex] would help, but its my first guess.

Thanks -- Brim

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brimley said:
Hello PhysicsForums!

I had posted a question earlier today in another thread and I had a follow up question to it (the question in nature isn't extremely related, but the link can be found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2964009#post2964009").

In the previous example, it was listed that [itex]\lambda = (3+\sqrt{-3})/2 \in \mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{3}][/itex].

The text states the following:

"[itex]x,y,[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are quadratic integers in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{-3}][/itex], where [itex]x^3 + y^3 = z^3[/itex]." From here it can be shown that [itex]\lambda[/itex] can divide one of [itex]x,y,[/itex] or [itex]z[/itex].

Can anyone help explain this? I don't know if reducing the equation modula [itex]\lambda^3[/itex] would help, but its my first guess.

Thanks -- Brim

What book are you reading anyway? And you're trying to learn algebraic number theory without solid background in abstract algebra, particularly galois theory. Of course you run into troubles.

If you're not doing these for homework and have no time-constraint, then I suggest you get some solid background in abstract algebra first, then read good intro books like cassels & frohlich's algebraic number theory, neukirch's algebraic number theory, lang's, etc.

hint: you can factor x^3 + y^3 = (x + y)(x + yw)(x + yw^2), where w is the primitive 3rd root of unity, and gcd(x+y, x+yw^i) = gcd(x+y, 1 - w) for any i != 0 (mod 3) (direct computation). Also, 3 totally ramifies in the ring Z[w] as (3) = (1 - w)^2.

The above remarks are all one needs. I will not say more than the above hint, but others can feel free to expand / give more details.

Last edited by a moderator:
hochs said:
What book are you reading anyway? And you're trying to learn algebraic number theory without solid background in abstract algebra, particularly galois theory. Of course you run into troubles.

If you're not doing these for homework and have no time-constraint, then I suggest you get some solid background in abstract algebra first, then read good intro books like cassels & frohlich's algebraic number theory, neukirch's algebraic number theory, lang's, etc.

hint: you can factor x^3 + y^3 = (x + y)(x + yw)(x + yw^2), where w is the primitive 3rd root of unity, and gcd(x+y, x+yw^i) = gcd(x+y, 1 - w) for any i != 0 (mod 3) (direct computation). Also, 3 totally ramifies in the ring Z[w] as (3) = (1 - w)^2.

The above remarks are all one needs. I will not say more than the above hint, but others can feel free to expand / give more details.

Hochs, I would like to finish this same example so I can have it to reference when I do read up on things, however it is kind of pointless for me to have come this far with this same problem to quit near the end, spend months reading up, then having to come back and revisit all of this and resurrect a dead thread. For this reason, I would really like to finish this example.

Back to the problem: I know that [itex]\lambda = 1 - w = (3+\sqrt{-3})/2[/itex]. Looking at your factoring and use of the GCD, the lost variable here is the [itex]z^3[/itex]. Where does this play in? Which one does [itex]\lambda[/itex] then divide into?

Related to Solving Quadratic Field Problems with Quick Tips - PhysicsForums

1. What is a Quick Quadratic Field Problem?

A Quick Quadratic Field Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solutions to a quadratic equation, typically in a limited amount of time or with limited information. It often involves real-life scenarios and practical applications.

2. How do you solve a Quick Quadratic Field Problem?

The most common method for solving a Quick Quadratic Field Problem is by factoring the quadratic equation, which involves breaking it down into two linear equations. Another approach is by using the quadratic formula, which is a formula that provides the solutions to any quadratic equation.

3. What are the applications of Quick Quadratic Field Problems?

Quick Quadratic Field Problems have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to solve real-world problems involving distance, time, speed, acceleration, and other variables.

4. What are the different types of Quick Quadratic Field Problems?

There are three main types of Quick Quadratic Field Problems: finding the roots of a quadratic equation, finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function, and solving word problems involving quadratic equations. Each type may require a different approach to solve.

5. Are there any tips for solving Quick Quadratic Field Problems quickly?

Some tips for solving Quick Quadratic Field Problems quickly include practicing and familiarizing yourself with different types of quadratic equations, understanding the properties of quadratic functions, and using shortcuts or tricks such as the sum and product method to quickly find the solutions.