Can the general solution for y in Q*y - y^P = Q - 1 be found analytically?

• I
  • Thread starter kairama15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving the equation Q*y - y^P = Q - 1 for y and the lack of a general solution for arbitrary values of P. It is mentioned that there are closed forms for solutions when P is an integer from -3 to 4 or certain fractions, but not for arbitrary P. The Abel-Ruffini theorem is also mentioned. The conversation also explores the possibility of finding a closed form for values of P between 0 and 1 and the presence of multiple solutions in some cases. It is noted that a solution by radicals exists only if the Galois group of the equation is solvable.
kairama15
I am having difficulty solving Q*y - y^P = Q - 1 for y.
If P = 2 or 0.5 or 0, I can solve it quadratically. However, I'd like to find a general solution for y. Any tips?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no general solution. If P is an integer from -3 to 4, or a few special fractions, the equation has closed forms for its solutions, but for arbitrary P this is no longer true. Abel-Ruffini theorem.

kairama15 said:
I am having difficulty solving Q*y - y^P = Q - 1 for y.
If P = 2 or 0.5 or 0, I can solve it quadratically. However, I'd like to find a general solution for y. Any tips?

Where did you got this question from ?

For the particular problem I am trying to solve, P ranges from 0 to 1. Is there a closed form for 0<P<1 ?

y=1 is always a trivial solution, of course.
Are there more real solutions in some cases? Are you interested in complex solutions?

For 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 you can convert it to a quadratic, cubic or quartic equation and solve it. Otherwise there is no closed form for a solution in the general case. There can still be values of Q were you can find all solutions, but it won't work for all Q any more, unless y=1 is the only solution.

Isn't the result that a solution by radicals exists iff the Galois group of the equation is solvable? EDIT: I mean, of course for this equation; we can construct equations whose group is not solvable, e.g., ##A_5 ##

1. What is the equation "Solve Q*y - y^P = Q - 1 for y"?

The equation is a mathematical expression that involves two variables, Q and y, and requires solving for the value of y.

2. What is the purpose of solving this equation?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the value of y that satisfies the equation and allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions in the given scenario.

3. How do you solve this equation?

To solve the equation, we need to isolate the variable y on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, while keeping the equation balanced.

4. Can this equation be solved for any values of Q and P?

Yes, the equation can be solved for any values of Q and P, as long as they are real numbers and P is not equal to 0.

5. Are there any special methods or techniques to solve this equation?

There are various methods and techniques that can be used to solve this equation, such as the substitution method, the elimination method, or using logarithms. The most appropriate method may vary depending on the given values of Q and P.