1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Relativistic Collision using Four Momentum Vector

1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    1. A particle of mass M decays from rest into two particles. One particle has mass m and the other particle is massless. The momentum of the massless particle is....

2. Ei = Ef, Pi= Pf

3. This is a GRE practice problem. I can solve this problem using the old method as listed in the step 2, but I just learned about four momentum yesterday and it seems to be the fastest way so far to solve these kind of problems; but I'm struggling to solve this problem with this method.

My attempt: P1 =(Mc^2/c,0), P2= (mc^2/c, pm), P3 = (E/c, p*); P1 is the initial energy-momentum vector, P2 is the final energy momentum for the particle with mass m, and P3 is the vector for massless particle. I also assumed the massless particle is moving at c. Then,
    P1= P2+P3,
    P1°P1 = (P2+P3)°(P2+P3), p* = E, c =1.

This is as far as I can go. I might have made some mistakes somewhere, so please be specific when you response so I correct them next time. Thanks in advance! Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The four-momentum for particle 2 isn't correct. Its energy isn't simply its rest energy. Also, use the fact that the two particles have to have opposite but equal three-momenta to write
    \begin{eqnarray}
    p_1 &= (Mc, 0) \\
    p_2 &= (E_2/c, p) \\
    p_3 &= (p, -p)
    \end{eqnarray}

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    Hi Vela, with the correction I got (M^2 -m^2)/2 = p^2 + p(p^2+m^2)^(1/2), with E = (p^2+m^2)^(1/2), and c = 1, which is kind of nasty (for me at least). So is four- momentum always the quickest way or just depends on the problem? Thanks

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try using conservation of energy to solve for E2 instead, then you'll have a comparatively simple expression from which you can isolate p.

Occasionally, there are problems where not using four-vectors is an easier route, but I've found that more often than not using four-vectors is much simpler. The thing with SR is that if you take a suboptimal approach, you can sometimes go in circles with the algebra. You learn how to avoid that with practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted