Solving Spin 1/2 Interactions with Hilbert Space Dimensions and J$^2$

In summary, The given problem involves three distinguishable spin 1/2 particles interacting through a Hamiltonian with the form H = \lamda ( S_1 \cdot S_2 + S_2 \cdot S_3 + S_3 \cdot S_1 ). The dimensions of the Hilbert space are 8, as there are 2 dimensions for each of the 3 particles. To express the Hamiltonian in terms of J^2, we can use the relation J = S_1 + S_2 + S_3 and the equation J^2 = S_1^2 + S_2^2 + S_3^2 + 2S_1S_2 + 2
marlow6623

Homework Statement

three distiguishable spin 1/2 particles interact via

[tex] H = \lamda ( S_1 \cdot S_2 + S_2 \cdot S_3 + S_3 \cdot S_1 ) [/tex]

a) What is the demension of the hilbert space?

b) Express H in terms of [tex] J^2 [/tex] where [tex] J = S_1 + S_2 + S_3 [/tex]

c) I then need to find the energy and eigenstates, but i think i can due this once i know the hamilitonian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) would this be 6D, 2 from each particle? or
(2*3/2 + 1) = 4

or am i all wrong?

b) [tex] J^2 = S_1^2 + S_2^2 + S_3^2 + 2S_1S_2 + 2S_3S_2 + 2S_1S_3 [/tex]

[tex] H = \lamda (1/2 J^2 - _1^2 - S_2^2 - S_3^2) [/tex]

but i still have S's in my H. Is this ok? I feel like its not.

should i use.. [tex] J^2 + \hbar J_z + J_+J_- [/tex]?

why can't i just write everything as a 2x2 matrix, for the energies, then solve it that way without using J^2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so i know now that a) is 8D

and i think that H = J^2 - S^2 - S^2 - S^2

Related to Solving Spin 1/2 Interactions with Hilbert Space Dimensions and J$^2$

1. What is the concept of spin 1/2 in quantum mechanics?

Spin 1/2 is a fundamental property of subatomic particles, such as electrons and protons, that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values, and is represented by the quantum number ½. This concept is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does Hilbert space play a role in solving spin 1/2 interactions?

Hilbert space is a mathematical framework that is used to describe the states and evolution of quantum systems. In the context of spin 1/2 interactions, Hilbert space provides a way to represent the possible states of the particles involved and how they change over time. By using Hilbert space, we can solve equations and make predictions about the behavior of spin 1/2 particles.

3. What are the dimensions of Hilbert space in spin 1/2 interactions?

The dimensions of Hilbert space in spin 1/2 interactions are infinite. This is because the spin of a particle can take on an infinite number of values, and each value corresponds to a different state in Hilbert space. However, in practice, we often work with a finite number of dimensions that are sufficient to describe the system we are studying.

4. How is J$^2$ used in solving spin 1/2 interactions?

J$^2$ is a mathematical operator that represents the total angular momentum of a quantum system. In spin 1/2 interactions, J$^2$ is used to calculate the total angular momentum of the particles involved and can help determine the allowed energy levels and transitions between states. It is a crucial tool in understanding the behavior of spin 1/2 particles.

5. Can spin 1/2 interactions be solved with classical mechanics?

No, spin 1/2 interactions cannot be solved with classical mechanics. Classical mechanics, which describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, is not applicable at the quantum level. The behavior of spin 1/2 particles is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which are fundamentally different from classical mechanics. Hilbert space dimensions and J$^2$ are concepts specific to quantum mechanics and are necessary for solving spin 1/2 interactions.