Solving Spring CD Horizontal Position Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the homework statement is that the spring remains in the horizontal position at all times due to the roller at D. If the spring is unstretched when θ=0° and the stiffness is k = 1.5 kN/m, determine the smallest angle θ for equilibrium and the horizontal and vertical components of reaction at pin A.
musicmar

Homework Statement

This is actually an engineering problem, but no-one ever seems to answer my questions when I post them there, and this is physics related.

Spring CD remains in the horizontal position at all times due to the roller at D. If the spring is unstretched when θ= 0° and the stiffness is k = 1.5 kN/m, determine the smallest angle θ for equilibrium and the horizontal and vertical components of reaction at pin A.
I've attached the picture. Sorry for the terrible image quality, but I think it's readable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Use equilibrium equations: unknowns: Ax, Ay, θ

FDC=kx= (1.5)(0.6cosθ) = 0.9cosθ

∑Fy=0= -300 + Ay
Ay= 300 N

∑Fx=0= Ax-FDC
Ax=0.9cosθ

∑MA=0= (-300)(0.6) + FDC(0.6sinθ)
0= -18 + 0.54sinθcosθ
33.33=sinθcosθ

So, the problem is that sinθcosθ can't equal 33.33. Also, for the level of this class, I don't think I should have a trig product like this. Everything else we've done can be solved with basic algebra.

Attachments

• statics 4-20.jpg
    statics 4-20.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 673
Physics news on Phys.org
Look after the definition of torque in your textbook. ehild

A moment is defined as the force x perpendicular distance to axis to the line of action of the force. FCD is defined by the angle because no horizontal dimensions are given. Then the perpendicular distance and thus the moment about A due to this force is dependent on the sine of the angle.

What is the direction of Fdc? How long is the perpendicular distance of line of action from the axis of rotation at the pin?
The same for the 300 N force. What is the distance of its line of action from the pin?

ehild

It depends on where the axes are defined. If the origin is at point A, oriented with x horizontally, the perpendicular distance from A to DC is (0.6)sinθ. If the axes are rotated so that the x-axis runs along AC, then the perpendicular distance is 0.6 m, and only the x-component causes a moment. This would simplify this part, but it appears that it would complicate other parts of the problem.

Last edited:
The perpendicular distance from A to DC is not (0.6)sinθ. By the way, how is sinθ defined?

The rotation happens in the plane of the picture, the axis of rotation is normal to that plane. There is no sense to find torque along an axis in-plane. First try to understand what "torque" means. See for example http://www.education.com/reference/article/rotational-equilibrium/?page=2.

ehild

I found another mistake I made. k is given in kN/m, not N/m.

yes, k= 1500 N/m. Have yyou found the level arm of F?

This is not a simple problem, and you can not solve it with simple algebra.

ehild

I had to turn it in with what I had. It worked and looked reasonable in the end. Thank you for your help.

The distance of the line of action of F from A is 0.6 sin(θ) + 0.45 cos (θ). This yields the following equation for the torque

-300 (0.6 sin(θ) + 0.45 cos (θ))+1500*0.36 sin(θ)cos(θ)=0

The equation can be solved numerically, giving θ=27.6 degrees.

ehild

Attachments

• torqueplate.JPG
    torqueplate.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 581

Related to Solving Spring CD Horizontal Position Equilibrium Problem

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in a spring CD horizontal position problem?

Equilibrium refers to the state of balance or stability in which all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in no overall movement or acceleration.

2. How do you solve a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem?

To solve a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem, you need to use the principles of equilibrium and Hooke's Law. This involves setting up and solving equations to determine the unknown variables, such as the spring constant or the displacement of the spring.

3. What is Hooke's Law and how is it related to spring CD horizontal position equilibrium?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. In a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem, Hooke's Law is used to calculate the force exerted by the spring on the CD and determine if it is in equilibrium.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem include not properly setting up the equations, not considering all the forces acting on the system, and not using the correct units. It is also important to double check the calculations and use appropriate significant figures.

5. Can you provide an example of a spring CD horizontal position equilibrium problem and explain the steps to solve it?

Sure, here is an example problem: A CD with a mass of 20 grams is attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 10 N/m. The spring is compressed by 5 cm from its equilibrium position. What is the force exerted by the spring on the CD?
Step 1: Draw a free-body diagram of the CD and label all the forces acting on it. In this case, there is the force of gravity (mg) and the force exerted by the spring (kx).
Step 2: Write out the equations of equilibrium, setting the sum of forces in the x-direction equal to 0 and the sum of forces in the y-direction equal to 0.
Step 3: Substitute the known values into the equations and solve for the unknown variable (force exerted by the spring).
Step 4: Check the answer for reasonableness, such as making sure the units are correct and the answer makes sense in the context of the problem.
The force exerted by the spring on the CD in this problem is 1 N.