Solving Symmetric Equations to Determine if Points Lie on Line L

• Thread starter tarheels88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symmetric equations and how to determine if certain points lie on a given line. The correct symmetric equations are provided and the process of solving for the variable "t" is explained. It is also emphasized that the order of operations must be followed when evaluating equations with multiple operations.
tarheels88

Homework Statement

My question is how do you use the symmetric equation. For instance I have a question that states: A line L has parametric equations x=4+3t, y=3+4t, z=9-4t. Determine whether or not the points given lie on the line L.
points (17, 14, -9).

Homework Equations

I know that I could set up a symmetric equation like this:
x-4/3= y-3/4= z-9/-4

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I plug in the points and if they are all equaled to one another does it mean they lay on the line L?

Physics news on Phys.org
tarheels88;3499067 A line L has parametric equations x=4+3t said:
Homework Equations[/h2]
I know that I could set up a symmetric equation like this:
x-4/3= y-3/4= z-9/-4

Your equations are wrong. x-4/3 = (4-3t)-4/3=4-4/3-3t=8/3-3t, and y-3/4 = (3+4t)-3/4=3-3/4 -4t = 9/4+4t. They are not identical!

If you have addition/subtraction and multiplication/division in a formula, you have to evaluate the multiplication/division first, then the addition/multiplication. You can not spare the parentheses. If there is an expression in parenthesis, evaluate that expression first.

So the correct equations are: t=(x-4)/3=(y-3)/4=(9-z)/4
Now you can plug in the given x,y,z values and see if all equations are true.

ehild

Related to Solving Symmetric Equations to Determine if Points Lie on Line L

What is a symmetric equation?

A symmetric equation is an equation in the form of Ax + By = C, where A and B are coefficients and x and y represent variables.

How do you determine if points lie on line L?

To determine if points lie on line L, you can substitute the x and y values of the points into the symmetric equation to see if they satisfy the equation. If they do, then the points lie on the line. If not, then they do not lie on the line.

Can a symmetric equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a symmetric equation can have infinite solutions and they can be represented by any point that lies on the line.

What is the relationship between symmetric equations and lines?

Symmetric equations are used to represent lines in a two-dimensional plane. Each symmetric equation corresponds to a unique line, and each point on the line satisfies the equation.

How can symmetric equations be used in real life situations?

Symmetric equations can be used in real life situations to model linear relationships, such as the relationship between distance and time in a moving object or the relationship between cost and quantity in a business. They can also be used to determine if points lie on a line, which can be useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and statistics.