Solving a Non-Linear System of Differential Equations

In summary: Dy + 3y)/2 to get x, and finally use the 2 on the RHS to find a particular solutionIn principle, you can solve that …it'll be a combination of the form y = Aeat + (Bcosct + Csinct)ebt …but as you say, there's probably a typo! :redface: …
iqjump123

Homework Statement

assuming dy/dt = Dy, d^2y/dt^2 =D^2, etc:

determine the general and particular solutions to the following linear pair of differential equations:

2D^2y-Dy-4x=2t
2Dx-4Dy-3y=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have went through algebraic manipulation to come up with the first equation:
16D^4x+4D^3x-6D^2x-4x=2t.
It was close, but wasn't an equidimensional equation. Now I would have to solve this- but a 4th order equation that isn't linear?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi iqjump123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
iqjump123 said:
I have went through algebraic manipulation to come up with the first equation:
16D^4x+4D^3x-6D^2x-4x=2t

how did you get that? :confused:

just differentiate the first equation once, and substitute for Dx from the second …

what do you get? :smile:

(and you can forget about the 2t while you're solving the general solution)

tiny-tim said:
hi iqjump123! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

how did you get that? :confused:

just differentiate the first equation once, and substitute for Dx from the second …

what do you get? :smile:

(and you can forget about the 2t while you're solving the general solution)

Hello tinytim,

First of all, thanks for the help!
I am a little lost on how to approach your suggestion.
Differentiating the first equation will get me 2D^3y-D^2y=0, right?
I am lost on how I can substitute this value into the second equation, however.

(sorry for not using the sup and sub script method- I am typing the reply from my iPad and i have trouble typing into the forum box when i mess with the options)

Many thanks!

hello iqjump123! :wink:
iqjump123 said:
2D^2y-Dy-4x=2t
2Dx-4Dy-3y=0
iqjump123 said:
Differentiating the first equation will get me 2D^3y-D^2y=0, right?

nooo :redface:

differentiating the first equation gives you 2D3y - D2y - 4Dx = 2 …

carry on from there :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hello iqjump123! :wink:

nooo :redface:

differentiating the first equation gives you 2D3y - D2y - 4Dx = 2 …

carry on from there :smile:

Thanks tinytim!
I substituted the modified differential equation to the second equation and solved for y(t), giving me three real roots. This is different than what wolfram gave me, but I think my answer makes more sense.

My next procedure will be to substitute the answer to the first ode and solve for x(t)- then that will give me the set of general solutions. Is this correct?

Also, the solving of this set of DE was done by differentiating the first equation only. However, wouldn't it have to be that I will have to differentiate the second equation as well if I differentiate the first ode?

Thanks, as always.

Iqjump123

hello iqjump123! :smile:

(i've been away for couple of weeks :biggrin:)
iqjump123 said:
My next procedure will be to substitute the answer to the first ode and solve for x(t)- then that will give me the set of general solutions. Is this correct?

yes (but i think you mean y(t) :wink:)

and once you have a general y, then integrate (4Dy + 3y)/2 to get x, and finally use the 2 on the RHS to find a particular solution

(though the cubic equation doesn't seem to have any convenient roots :redface: … are you sure the original equations are correct?)
Also, the solving of this set of DE was done by differentiating the first equation only. However, wouldn't it have to be that I will have to differentiate the second equation as well if I differentiate the first ode?

no! :confused: :smile:

hello tiny tim! It has been a little bit but I wanted to revisit this thread. I really appreciate your help. As you explained, it seems that the 3rd order characteristic equation equating for y is getting me 3 roots that don't seem plausible for my problem. (one decimal real value, two complex numbers)

Unless anybody else can see an easier straight forward way to solve this problem, my guess is that there was a typo in the problem I was solving.

However, thanks to you I definitely got a grasp on how to tackle this system of ODE problem.

Thanks again.

iqjump123

hello iqjump123! happy new year! :smile:
iqjump123 said:
… As you explained, it seems that the 3rd order characteristic equation equating for y is getting me 3 roots that don't seem plausible for my problem. (one decimal real value, two complex numbers) …

in principle, you can solve that …

it'll be a combination of the form y = Aeat + (Bcosct + Csinct)ebt

but as you say, there's probably a typo! :redface:

Related to Solving a Non-Linear System of Differential Equations

1. How do you solve a system of ODEs?

Solving a system of ODEs involves finding a set of equations that describe the relationships between multiple unknown functions, and then using numerical or analytical methods to find the solutions to those equations. This can be a complex process and may involve techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or matrix operations.

2. What is the difference between numerical and analytical methods for solving ODEs?

Numerical methods involve approximating the solutions to a system of ODEs by breaking it down into smaller, simpler problems that can be solved using basic mathematical operations. Analytical methods, on the other hand, involve finding exact solutions to a system of ODEs using formulas and equations. Numerical methods are often used when the system of ODEs is too complex to solve analytically.

3. What are some common techniques used for solving systems of ODEs?

Some common techniques used for solving systems of ODEs include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking down the system of ODEs into smaller, simpler problems that can be solved using basic mathematical operations.

4. How do you determine the initial conditions for a system of ODEs?

The initial conditions for a system of ODEs are typically given in the form of initial values for the unknown functions at a specific point or time. These initial conditions can also be determined by solving for the constants in the general solution of the system of ODEs.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can assist with solving systems of ODEs?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can assist with solving systems of ODEs. Some examples include MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, and Python libraries such as SciPy and SymPy. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solutions to the system of ODEs.