Solving Equation for c: Analytical or Numerical Method? | Possible Integer A

• Thread starter i13m
  • Start date
But in summary, the conversation is about whether or not it is possible to solve for c in a complex equation involving A, either analytically or through numerical methods. There are two suggested methods for solving it: 1) using the rational roots test or 2) using approximation techniques such as bisection or Newton's method. The equation can be broken into two lines for easier viewing.
i13m
Hi, all

Homework Statement

After I differentiate a mathematical model, I got the following equation.

I wonder whether or not it is possible to solve c with the following equation

[tex] 0=c^3\,\left(\ifrac{3\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{4}{3}}}{c^{\frac{8}{3}}}-\ifrac{24\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^{\frac{4}{3}}}+20\right)+c\,\left(-\ifrac{12\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^{\frac{4}{3}}}-\ifrac{4\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)+c^5\,\left(\ifrac{72\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^{\frac{4}{3}}}-44\right)+c^2\,\left(9\,A-\ifrac{2\,A\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)+7\,A^3-40\,c^4\,A[/tex]

where A will be a possible integer

Can it be done analytically, or the numerical method is a possible solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless stuff magically cancels out when you expand everything, no. However, there's two ways of going about it:

1) If you're left with a polynomial in c with rational coefficients after expanding everything, you could try the rational roots test to find the roots.

2) You could always try an approximation technique: bisection, Newton, Newton–Raphson

Of course both of these options assume that you know what A is. If you don't, I don't know how you would solve for the roots.

You don't need to know the value of A, other than it's a constant. It's similar to being able to solve for the roots of a general quadratic, without knowing their coefficients. The result will be in terms of its coefficients.

We can't even see it; after each large bracket start another line if you want anyone to look at it please.

Thanks for all replies.

I hope the equation can now be broke into two lines.

[tex]
0=c^3\,\left(\ifrac{3\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\fra c{4}{3}}}{c^{\frac{8}{3}}}-\ifrac{24\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^ {\frac{4}{3}}}+20\right)+c\,\left(-\ifrac{12\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3} }}{c^{\frac{4}{3}}}-\ifrac{4\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}} }{c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)+\newline c^5\,\left(\ifrac{72\,\l eft(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^{\frac{4}{3}} }-44\right)+c^2\,\left(9\,A-\ifrac{2\,A\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}}{ c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)+7\,A^3-40\,c^4\,A
[/tex]

I have tried and failed at expending this whole equation.

I will have a look at some approximation techniques.

Regards

Here's the equation:

[tex]

0=c^3\,\left(\ifrac{3\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\fra c{4}{3}}}{c^{\frac{8}{3}}}-\ifrac{24\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^ {\frac{4}{3}}}+20\right)+c\,\left(-\ifrac{12\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3} }}{c^{\frac{4}{3}}}-\ifrac{4\,A^2\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}} }{c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)[/tex]

[tex] + c^5\,\left(\ifrac{72\,\l eft(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}}{c^{\frac{4}{3}} }-44\right)+c^2\,\left(9\,A-\ifrac{2\,A\,\left(A^2+c\,A\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}}{ c^{\frac{2}{3}}}\right)+7\,A^3-40\,c^4\,A

[/tex]

The /newline command didn't work.

1. How do you solve an equation for c using the analytical method?

To solve an equation for c using the analytical method, you must rearrange the equation so that c is isolated on one side of the equals sign. This involves using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move terms around. Once c is isolated, you can solve for its value by substituting in the known values for the other variables.

2. What is the difference between the analytical and numerical methods for solving equations?

The analytical method involves using algebraic operations to manipulate an equation and solve for a specific variable. This method provides an exact solution. On the other hand, the numerical method involves using algorithms and approximations to find a numerical solution to an equation. This method may not provide an exact solution, but it is often faster and more efficient for complex equations.

3. Can both analytical and numerical methods be used to solve equations with integer solutions?

Yes, both analytical and numerical methods can be used to solve equations with integer solutions. The analytical method may involve more steps and calculations to arrive at the solution, while the numerical method may involve more rounding and approximation. However, both methods can be used to find the exact integer solution for an equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using the analytical method for solving equations?

Yes, there are limitations to using the analytical method for solving equations. This method may not be feasible for complex equations with multiple variables, as it can become very time-consuming and difficult to manipulate the equation. In these cases, the numerical method may be a better option for finding a solution.

5. How do you know which method to use when solving an equation for c?

The method you use to solve an equation for c will depend on the specific equation and the values of the other variables involved. In general, the analytical method is preferred when the equation is simple and can be easily manipulated with algebraic operations. However, for more complex equations or equations with non-integer solutions, the numerical method may be a better choice. It is important to carefully consider the equation and choose the method that will provide the most accurate and efficient solution.