System of Equations with Unknown Variables

• Thread starter Je m'appelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a system of equations involving x, y, and z. The equations are x^2 + y^2 = 1, x^2 + z^2 + x*z*sqrt(3) = 4, and y^2 + z^2 + z*y = 3. The attempt at a solution is shown, but the problem arises when trying to isolate z. The suggestion is made to treat it as a quadratic equation in z.
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

Hello there, I'm having trouble solving the following system:

x^2 + y^2 = 1 (I)

x^2 + z^2 + x*z*sqrt(3) = 4 (II)

y^2 + z^2 + z*y = 3 (III)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Working on (I):

y^2 = 1 - x^2

Working on (III):

(1 - x^2) + z^2 + z*sqrt(1 - x^2) = 3

z = (2 + x^2)/(z + sqrt(1 - x^2))

And here starts the problem, because I can't isolate the 'z', so I can't really move on.

Physics news on Phys.org
It may look ugly in the end, but to isolate z after you've started working on eqn 3, treat it as a quadratic equation in z.

Gib Z said:
It may look ugly in the end, but to isolate z after you've started working on eqn 3, treat it as a quadratic equation in z.

Thank you, I'll try it.

1. How do I solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations, you need to first identify the variables and the number of equations in the system. Then, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve a system of equations?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or an online system of equations solver to find the solutions to a system of equations. However, it is important to note that these tools may not always provide an exact solution and may round the numbers.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of equations?

Solving a system of equations is important in many scientific and mathematical fields. It allows you to find the intersection point of two or more lines, which can represent important relationships in real-world situations. It can also be used to find the optimal solution in optimization problems.

4. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the equations represent parallel lines or when there are more variables than equations in the system. In these cases, there are infinitely many solutions that satisfy the system.

5. Is there a specific order to solving a system of equations?

No, there is no specific order to solving a system of equations. However, certain methods may be more efficient or easier to use depending on the equations in the system. It is important to choose a method that suits the given system and to double-check the solution by plugging it back into the original equations.