Solving the Helmholtz Equation with Neumann Boundary Condition in a Unit Circle

• Thread starter Larsson
  • Start date
In summary, the Helmholtz equation with a Neumann condition for r = 1 can be solved by separating the variables and using Bessel's equation to find the solutions for R(r) and T(t). The solutions can then be combined to form u(r,t), and the boundary conditions can be applied to find the specific values of the constants. For a Dirichlet condition, the process is similar but the solutions for R(r) may be different.
Larsson
solve the Helmholtzequation laplace(u) + lamda*u = 0 in the unit circle with neumann condition for r = 1

I don't get very far on this problem. What I start with is rewriting the problem with how laplace looks in this case.

laplace(u) = (1/r) d/dr(r * du/dr) + (1/r^2) * d^2u/dtheta^2)

so the equation will be

R'/R + rR''/R + theta''/(r*theta) + lambda = 0

but that's as far as I get

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you write it in tex...

The next step will be to separate variables.

no, I'm sorry, I cant. Dont know how tex works.

I know that the next thing is to separate the variables, but I don't get it right, that is as far as I get.

What's your capital R?

First write: [tex]u(r,\theta)=u_r(r)u_\theta(\theta)[/tex]

(multiplying the equation by [tex]r^2[/tex] to get it in a separable form)

Yeah, well that's what I did. But I wrote it as u(r,Theta) = R(r)*Theta(theta). And that's how I got R'/R + rR''/R + theta''/(r*theta) + lambda = 0

I just applied the laplace on it and divided everything with R*Theta

In the form you have, you need an r in front of the [tex]\lambda[/tex] - then multiply up by the second r (the one beneath the [tex]\theta''[/tex])...

rR'/R + r^2R''/R + theta''/theta + r^2*lambda = 0

but I still don't see how to continue. I would really appreciate if you would show some steps on how to solve this, since I'm kind of lost. In the other assignmensts I've solved it've only been like X''/X = Y'/Y. But here it looks much more complicated (atleast for my untrained eye)

probably the next step would be something like rR'/R + r^2R''/R + r^2*lambda = -theta''/theta = k

-theta''/theta = k is "easy" to solve, bt rR'/R + r^2R''/R + r^2*lambda = k is a bit worse

Last edited:
Larsson said:

but I still don't see how to continue. I would really appreciate if you would show some steps on how to solve this, since I'm kind of lost. In the other assignmensts I've solved it've only been like X''/X = Y'/Y. But here it looks much more complicated (atleast for my untrained eye)

Yeah, in fact it looks a lot like Bessel's equation! Of course, you know the general solutions to Bessel's equation: the two independent solutions are Ji(r) and Ii(r), Bessel's functions of the first and second kind, of order i.

probably the next step would be something like rR'/R + r^2R''/R + r^2*lambda = -theta''/theta = k

-theta''/theta = k is "easy" to solve, bt rR'/R + r^2R''/R + r^2*lambda = k is a bit worse
Yes, -theta"/theta= k is easy to solve- theta"= -k theta gives either exponential (if k is negative) or sine and cosine (if k is positive). Since the solutions had better be periodic, with period a multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] you have an idea of what k (and therefore i in Ji and Ii) had better be.

Larsson said:

Was giving a presentation yesterday so couldn't follow this thread but adding to Halls of Ivy...

I'll first write your stuff in latex so we get a better view:

[tex]r^2 \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} + r \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial R}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{\Theta}\frac{\partial^2\Theta}{\partial\theta^2} + r^2\lambda = 0[/tex]

Separation of variables gives:

[tex]\frac{1}{\Theta}\frac{\partial^2\Theta}{\partial\theta^2}=const.=-m^2[/tex]

which gives:

[tex]r^2 \frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} + r \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} + (r^2\lambda-m^2)R = 0[/tex]

This last term is Bessels equation: The boundary conditions (geometry of problem) give you which functions are valid - you should consider both normal and modified kind, both 1st and 2nd of.

Again, [tex]\Theta[/tex] is periodic and therefore satisfies [tex]Ae^{\pm im\theta}[/tex]

The above isn't the full answer but should help...

J77 said:
Was giving a presentation yesterday so couldn't follow this thread but adding to Halls of Ivy...

I'll first write your stuff in latex so we get a better view:

[tex]r^2 \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} + r \frac{1}{R}\frac{\partial R}{\partial r} + \frac{1}{\Theta}\frac{\partial^2\Theta}{\partial\theta^2} + r^2\lambda = 0[/tex]

Separation of variables gives:

[tex]\frac{1}{\Theta}\frac{\partial^2\Theta}{\partial\theta^2}=const.=-m^2[/tex]

which gives:

[tex]r^2 \frac{\partial^2 R}{\partial r^2} + r \frac{\partial R}{\partial r} + (r^2\lambda-m^2)R = 0[/tex]

This last term is Bessels equation: The boundary conditions (geometry of problem) give you which functions are valid - you should consider both normal and modified kind, both 1st and 2nd of.

Again, [tex]\Theta[/tex] is periodic and therefore satisfies [tex]Ae^{\pm im\theta}[/tex]

The above isn't the full answer but should help...

Ok guys, thanks for all the help. Here's what I got. How do you guys get the tex code, do ypu write it by hand or do you have any help software?

I didnt do it exactly as you wrote J77, but it's the same way of thinking.

[tex]\frac{1}{\Theta}\frac{\partial^2\Theta}{\partial\theta^2}=const.=-k[/tex]

which I solved to T = A*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*t) + B*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*t)
T(t) = T(t+2*pi)
A*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*t) + B*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*t) =
A*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*(t+2pi)) + B*exp(-i*sqrt(k)*(t+2pi))

exp(i*sqrt(k)*t) = exp(i*sqrt(k)*(t+2*pi))
sqrt(k)*t = sqrt(k)*t + 2pi*sqrt(k) + 2pi*n
sqrt(k) = -n

The R part get the solution

R(r) = a*J_-n(sqrt(lambda)*r) + b*Y_-n(sqrt(lambda)*r)

and the T part (former theta part, looks so greasy to write theta without tex) get the solution

T(t) = A*exp(-i*n*t) + B*exp(i*n*t)

and u(r,t) = R(r)*T(t)

now the problem is how to fit the neumann condition u(1,t) = 0 to this.
And I also want to know how to do for dirichlet condition for r = 1

If u is bounded at r=0 then b=0 and with boundary conditions u(1,t)=0 you get

[tex]u(1,t)=a*J_m(k)*T(t)=0[/tex]

[tex]k=\lambda^2[/tex]

from which

[tex]J_m(k)=0[/tex]

and

[tex]k=\gamma_{ms}[/tex]

the s:th root of the m:th besselfunction

its similar for neumann conditions but u get it for the derivative of J. But there are some useful relations between J and J'. For homogenous dirichlet conditions you get the solution

[tex]u(r,t)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty C_m*J_m(\gamma_{ms}r)*T(t)[/tex]

And you need a second boundary condition to determine the constants C_m.
More about how to find C_m you can read in the litterature for bessel series.

If u isn't bounded at r=0 or isn't defined at r=0
you get a system of linear equations for the coefficients a and b, and a "determinant-equation" gives the solution.

Last edited:
ok, so in my case I would get sqrt(lambda) = my_ms for dirichlet where my_ms is the zeroes for the bessel function. In this case it will be
sqrt(lambda)= 2.405 ; 3.382; 5.136; 5.520 ...
and for neumann
sqrt(lambda) = 0; 1.841: 3.054; 3.832...
can anyone check if these values are right so I can be sure that I got this right

this was wihot having to care about the z-axis. But let's try with a z-axis this time, then I get

R''/R + R'/rR + T''/r^2T + Z''/Z + lambda = 0 how do I separete this when I have 3 variabels? doesn't that get complicated?

Edit:

I think I got it

R''r^2/R + R'r/R + Z''r^2/Z + r^2*lambda = -T''/T = k

and -T''/T = k is the same as in the first problem, and therefor I get that k = n^2 where n is an integer

now I can rewrite the remaining part as

R''/R + R'/Rr + lambda - (n/r)^2 = -Z''/Z = C ( another constant)

and -Z''/Z = C ought to give me that c is an integer just as T''/T = k told me that. So C = j^2 where j is an integer

now we have R''/R + R'/Rr + lambda - j^2 - (n/r)^2 = 0

R'' + R'/r + R(lambda - j^2 - (n/r)^2) = 0

which have the solution R = a*J_n(sqrt(lambda-j^2)*r) + bY_n(sqrt(lambda-j^2)*r)

Edit2:

Just figured out that -Z''/Z = C doesn't say that C = j^2, the only reason that that worked for T is that I forced 2pi periodicity.

In this case I have a rod with the radius R_0 and length L and it's closed at Z = 0 and opened at Z = L. so this would give me that Z = cos(pi/L (1/2 + j)*z) and C = (pi/2L + pi*j/L)^2 where j is an integer. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Larsson said:
ok, so in my case I would get sqrt(lambda) = my_ms for dirichlet where my_ms is the zeroes for the bessel function.?

yupp, s:th zero for the m:th besselfunction

Larsson said:
R''/R + R'/rR + T''/r^2T + Z''/Z + lambda = 0 how do I separete this when I have 3 variabels? doesn't that get complicated?

well, depending on the separation constants for Z and T you could get either the ordinary bessel functions as solutions for R or the modified
bessel functions I_n and K_n. These functions you can say is the ordinary bessel functions but with complex argument. But they arent oscillating functions like J_n and N_n(or Y_n) they behave more like exponential functions.

Larsson said:
Edit:

I think I got it

R''r^2/R + R'r/R + Z''r^2/Z + r^2*lambda = -T''/T = k

and -T''/T = k is the same as in the first problem, and therefor I get that k = n^2 where n is an integer
usually you use, k^2, as the separation constant. And in this case it has to be negative for T too. Thats because T is periodic. With a negative separation constant you get cos/sin as the solutions, and with a positive you get exp or sinh/cosh, which are not periodic. For Z you should get sinh.

Related to Solving the Helmholtz Equation with Neumann Boundary Condition in a Unit Circle

What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a homogeneous medium. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to wave propagation, such as sound and electromagnetic waves.

What are the applications of solving the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation has numerous applications in different fields, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to study the behavior of waves in different media and to design and optimize devices such as antennas, lenses, and acoustic filters.

What are the main challenges in solving the Helmholtz equation?

One of the main challenges in solving the Helmholtz equation is the presence of singularities and boundary conditions, which can make it difficult to find an analytical solution. Another challenge is the high computational cost of solving the equation numerically, especially for complex systems.

What are the commonly used methods for solving the Helmholtz equation?

The most commonly used methods for solving the Helmholtz equation are numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods discretize the equation and solve it using iterative techniques. Analytical solutions, when available, are also used in some cases.

What are some current research developments in solving the Helmholtz equation?

Current research in solving the Helmholtz equation focuses on developing more efficient and accurate numerical methods, especially for problems with high frequency and complex geometries. Another area of research is the use of machine learning techniques to find solutions to the Helmholtz equation and improve the design of wave-based devices.