Solving the Limit of x(t) as t → ∞

• Thread starter City88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Hey csprof - agree with everything you said, just making the point that it tends to that asymptotic position but only in the limit, gets as close as you want, but never actually stopsIn summary, the homework equation x'(x)=-1/3 pi cos(20/3 pi) keeps decreasing until it reaches 0, at which point it will forever stop moving.
City88

Homework Statement

Let x be the solution to dx/dt=(pi-x)cos(5x)
x(0)=4pi/3
Find the lim x(t) as t goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(5x)=0 when 5x=n(pi), so when x=n(pi)/5 which = 4(pi)/3 since we have that initial condition.
so, n=20/3, x=4(pi)/3 ??...I don't know what to do!

any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try integrating dx/dt?

I suggest trying a numerical solution to get the answer, and then using analysis to explain it.

csprof2000 said:
I suggest trying a numerical solution to get the answer, and then using analysis to explain it.

Well, there is no need for numerical solution, unless you want to practice, but like was suggested, all you need to do is integrate with respect to x, and then what you have done is found the solution to that diff .eq.

Try to do that, and then come back again if you still have trouble.

sutupidmath said:
Well, there is no need for numerical solution, unless you want to practice, but like was suggested, all you need to do is integrate with respect to x, and then what you have done is found the solution to that diff .eq.

Try to do that, and then come back again if you still have trouble.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that neither you or Iubuntu have actually tried to do the integration:wink:...

City88 said:
cos(5x)=0 when 5x=n(pi)

Really?!...not if n is an integer it doesn't...[itex]cos(0)\neq 0[/itex]

, so when x=n(pi)/5 which = 4(pi)/3

Huh?! x(0)=4pi/3 is just your initial condition, cos(5x(0)) does not equal zero.

...I don't know what to do!

If [tex]\lim_{t\to\infty} x(t)[/tex] exists, what do you think the slope of the graph of x vs. t will look like for very large t? What does that tell you about dx/dt there?

What is dx/dt at t=0? is x increasing or decreasing there?

Last edited:
plotting dx/dt is also pretty useful, start at your initial condition and try and imagine how x will move as t as increased (ie for a poistive dt)

gabbagabbahey said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that neither you or Iubuntu have actually tried to do the integration:wink:...

Well, that is sadly correct!

Looking at it closer, i just realized that it actually is not as easy as i initially thought, since on the RHS we have only x's which are defined implicitly as a function of t. So, we defenitely will run into trouble trying to integrate it, since we need to divide by RHS, and the integral is not going to look that easy, i would guess, since yet, i haven't tried it myself.

You don't need to find an explicit solution in any event.

Just work through what happens using logic.

Initially, x(0) = 4pi/3. Ergo x'(0) = (-1/3 pi) cos(20/3 pi) = -1/6 pi
... check my calculation on that...

So it's heading down. Alright...

If x decreases a little bit, then the (pi - x) will stay negative, and the cos(5x) will remain positive... so it keeps heading down. In fact, we see that this is true until we get to the point where

(you fill in the answer!)

At which point x'(0) = 0 and the thing stops, forever. The end.

but will only really approach that point as t approaches infinity

For a unique set of initial conditions, its asymptotic behavior can be determined. The system is completely deterministic. So yes... it really will.

csprof2000 said:
At which point x'(0) = 0 and the thing stops, forever. The end.
x'(0) is not zero

hey csprof - agree with everything you said, just making the point that it tends to that asymptotic position but only in the limit, gets as close as you want, but never actually stops

Oh yeah, I meant that x'(x) = 0, and the thing stops.

And yes, it never actually makes it there... I guess I should have been more precise and said "even if it did ever make it there, it would then stop and go no further". But since the derivative isn't zero until there, it'll keep getting closer. It can be made more formal by saying the derivative gets smaller and smaller, etc.

Related to Solving the Limit of x(t) as t → ∞

1. What is the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity?

The limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity is the value that x(t) approaches as t gets closer and closer to infinity. It represents the long-term behavior of the function.

2. How do we solve the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity?

To solve the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity, we can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and substitution. We can also use L'Hôpital's rule or the squeeze theorem in certain cases.

3. Why is it important to find the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity?

Finding the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity allows us to understand the behavior of a function in the long run. It can help us determine if a function has a finite or infinite limit, and can also be used to find horizontal asymptotes.

4. Can the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity exist even if the function is undefined at infinity?

Yes, the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity can exist even if the function is undefined at infinity. This can happen if the function oscillates or approaches different values from different directions.

5. Is there a difference between the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity and the value of x(t) at infinity?

Yes, there is a difference between the limit of x(t) as t approaches infinity and the value of x(t) at infinity. The limit represents the behavior of the function as t gets infinitely large, while the value at infinity refers to the actual value of the function when t is equal to infinity.