Solving the Missing Resistor Problem in a Parallel Circuit

• Thread starter Hazel Appraiasal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation was about finding the missing resistor (R6) in a series-parallel resistor combination problem. The experts suggested using the voltage drop across R9 and the total current of the parallel circuit to solve for R6. The conversation also mentioned combining series resistors and parallel resistors to solve for R6, with the maximum possible resistance being 3.9 kΩ.
Hazel Appraiasal
Summary:: How de you find the missing resistor (R6) in this problem. I assume you take the current flow of the parallel circuit to find the resistance of R6 but I feel like there is still some missing information

1641353436277.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a straightforward series-parallel resistor combination problem to me. Can you post your work?

Although the value of ##R_6## is not given, the voltage across ##R_9## is given. That additional information of the voltage drop should give enough facts to solve the problem.

Likes DaveE
1641354816762.png

This is all I've done. I figure that if I add all of the resistances of the series circuit then find the current, I could then use that current to solve the parallel circuit. I got something around 0.01 amp so I figure that the total current of the parallel circuit must be 0.01 amp and then I could use that to find the resistance of R6

You can get the current in the main loop directly from the voltage drop at ##R_6##.
0.01 A is correct. I don't know any other way that you might have used.
Given that, can you write down an equation leaving ##R_6## undefined and solve for ##R_6##?
(You can combine all the series resisters in the main loop, combine the parallel ##R_5## and ##R_7## but leave ##R_6## as a variable. Then solve for ##R_6##)

FactChecker said:
You can get the current in the main loop directly from the voltage drop at ##R_6##.
0.01 A is correct. I don't know any other way that you might have used.
Given that, can you write down an equation leaving ##R_6## undefined and solve for ##R_6##?
(You can combine all the series resisters in the main loop, combine the parallel ##R_5## and ##R_7## but leave ##R_6## as a variable. Then solve for ##R_6##)
I don't think so because the total current of the parallel circuit must be 0.01 amps which if I calculated correctly results in a total resistance of the parallel circuit to be 10 000 and then I can subtract resistances from there.

Hazel Appraiasal said:
I don't think so because the total current of the parallel circuit must be 0.01 amps
Yes, you can get that directly from the 5-volt drop across the ##500 \Omega## ##R_9## resister.
Hazel Appraiasal said:
which if I calculated correctly results in a total resistance of the parallel circuit to be 10 000 and then I can subtract resistances from there.
You can not get a larger combined parallel resistance than the least of the individual parallel resisters. So that must be no more than ##3.9 k\Omega##
I guess that you mean the resistance of the entire circuit. I agree.

Last edited:

1. How do you identify the missing resistor in a parallel circuit?

In order to identify the missing resistor in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This formula calculates the total resistance of the circuit by adding the reciprocals of each individual resistor. The missing resistor will be the value that makes the total resistance equal to the known total resistance of the circuit.

2. Can a parallel circuit function without a missing resistor?

Yes, a parallel circuit can still function without a missing resistor. However, the total resistance of the circuit will be different than the intended value, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. How does the placement of the missing resistor affect the circuit?

The placement of the missing resistor in a parallel circuit does not affect the total resistance of the circuit, but it can affect the individual branch currents. If the missing resistor is in a branch with other resistors, the current will be divided among the remaining resistors. If the missing resistor is in its own branch, the current will not flow through that branch at all.

4. What happens if the missing resistor is replaced with a different value?

If the missing resistor is replaced with a different value, the total resistance of the circuit will change. This can affect the overall current and voltage in the circuit, as well as the individual branch currents. It is important to calculate the new total resistance using the formula mentioned in question 1 to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. Can a multimeter be used to find the missing resistor in a parallel circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to find the missing resistor in a parallel circuit. By measuring the total resistance of the circuit and then measuring the resistance of each individual resistor, you can use the formula mentioned in question 1 to determine the missing resistor's value. However, it is important to note that the multimeter's accuracy and precision may affect the final result.