Solving the Mystery of My Itchy Bites

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, Dave has been getting bites on his left knee that have been slowly increasing in frequency over the past few weeks. He has ruled out fleas, mosquitos, and other bugs as the source, and is now considering shingles. If the bites recur, Dave will try treating them with isopropanol and calamine lotion.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting these bites from. Skeets or fleas or whatever.

I've got about six bites in the soft crook behind my left knee. None behind the right knee.
They are very itchy.
They have been occurring over at least a week or more. Still occurring, in fact.
I've been wearing long pants, so no shorts.
My wife sits on the same couch as I and she has no bites. Same with bed.
Yes, I've been around cats and dogs but no one of them over the week+ that this has been occurring.
My office is carpeted, but I'm almost alone in my pod, and none of my pod-mates have animals.

I know it's flea season, making them a very likely culprit, and I've seen mosquitos even this late in the season, but why only me and why only in that specific spot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once fleas have gorged, they fall off, or so I have read. So maybe you had one flea, it ate well, then fell off outside the house/office, end of bites.

I read an awful lot about fleas last year when I was being attacked.

Except that they're continuing. A bite or two every few days over the last couple of weeks.

I should mention that for one of those weeks I was away on a cruise - but I'm afraid that'll have people barking up the wrong tree. I got my first batch of bites before going on the cruise - they were itchy enough that I bought some Hydrocortizone cream to take on my trip. Now I'm back, and I've got another bite or two.

DaveC426913 said:
Except that they're continuing. A bite or two every few days over the last couple of weeks.

I should mention that for one of those weeks I was away on a cruise - but I'm afraid that'll have people barking up the wrong tree. I got my first batch of bites before going on the cruise - they were itchy enough that I bought some Hydrocortizone cream to take on my trip. Now I'm back, and I've got another bite or two.
So the little blood suckers are partial to you.

Could they be shingles?

OAQfirst said:
Could they be shingles?
Only if shingles manifest exactly like flea bites or skeeter bites...

These two occurrences can be hard to tell apart:

http://www.ahmf.com.au/images/guidelines/managing_herpes_zoster_fig02.jpg
http://all-pets-info.com/fleacontrol/flea%20bite%20image%20(small).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was attacked for two two weeks or so by what I am sure were fleas. I don't know where they were coming from, at home I was fine but in the bus and in the lab I would get bites.

I'm a magnet to biting bugs, it could be the same for you (explaining that your wife is not being bugged).

Last fall I got several{6} flea bites, the cat got 3, the dog was not itching, but discovered 10+ bites on her backside, my partner got none. I had to bomb the whole house, and spray the yard.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting these bites from. Skeets or fleas or whatever.

I've got about six bites in the soft crook behind my left knee. None behind the right knee.
They are very itchy.
They have been occurring over at least a week or more. Still occurring, in fact.
I've been wearing long pants, so no shorts.
My wife sits on the same couch as I and she has no bites. Same with bed.
Yes, I've been around cats and dogs but no one of them over the week+ that this has been occurring.
My office is carpeted, but I'm almost alone in my pod, and none of my pod-mates have animals.

I know it's flea season, making them a very likely culprit, and I've seen mosquitos even this late in the season, but why only me and why only in that specific spot?

DaveC426913 ... you and all of your mysteries. Have you washed and changed your pants? I wonder if there are any bugs that like to reside in that one area but are small not to be noticed.

Wipe the site with Isopropanol then apply some Calamine lotion. If it happens again then isolate the area , put something over it , if it continues then you either have incredibly small bugs or some type of event that is intrinsic to your body.

OAQfirst said:
Well, I think they sometimes do. Can you tell if they run a nerve line?
Yah, I read about that. No, not really. One on the side of the knee, three in the crook, one on the meat of the calf.

Great.

My pod-mate was just diagnosed with scabies.

But I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

Sounds like you've got an infestation of http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/" They are bad in the fall but can be easily controlled outdoors by mowing and with pesticides. I find the chiggers need something like socks and long pants to hold on to. If you walk in an infested area with shorts and sandals, you won't suffer any bites on your lower legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you know, chiggers makes more sense.

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, you know, chiggers makes more sense.
If your co-worker has scabies (mites) why would you think you didn't pick some up?

Evo said:
If your co-worker has scabies (mites) why would you think you didn't pick some up?
1] I'm not intimate with him.
2] The symptoms are all wrong. My bites are manifesting exactly like skeeter/flea/chigger bites, not scabies.
3] The doctor doubts it.
4] And finally: the timing is completely wrong. I started getting my bites two weeks ago. He only had his "mattress incident" this week.

DaveC426913 said:
1] I'm not intimate with him.
2] The symptoms are all wrong. My bites are manifesting exactly like skeeter/flea/chigger bites, not scabies.
3] The doctor doubts it.
4] And finally: the timing is completely wrong. I started getting my bites two weeks ago. He only had his "mattress incident" this week.
Maybe you infected him.

Have you been intimate with chiggers? :uhh:

Last year I thought I had bed bugs, but it turned out to be fleas.

1. What causes itchy bites?

Itchy bites are typically caused by insect bites, such as mosquitoes, bed bugs, or fleas. Other common causes include allergic reactions, skin infections, and skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis.

2. How can I prevent getting itchy bites?

To prevent itchy bites, use insect repellent when spending time outdoors, wear protective clothing, and avoid areas with high insect activity. Keep your living space clean and free of clutter to avoid attracting pests.

3. What can I do to relieve the itching from bites?

You can try over-the-counter anti-itch creams or ointments, apply a cold compress, take an antihistamine, or use calamine lotion. It is important to avoid scratching the bites, as this can lead to further irritation and potential infection.

4. When should I see a doctor for my itchy bites?

If your bites are severe, accompanied by fever or other symptoms, or do not improve with home remedies, it is best to see a doctor. They can help determine the cause of the bites and provide appropriate treatment.

5. Can itchy bites be a sign of a more serious health issue?

In rare cases, itchy bites can be a sign of a more serious health issue, such as an allergic reaction or infection. If you experience severe symptoms or have a history of allergic reactions, it is important to seek medical attention.