Ee-yowtch Bug bites, but what?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug
In summary, Sunday night I sat outside for three hours. I was wearing long pants and a sweatshirt and there was a mosquito candle on the table in front of me. There are confirmed mosquitos still in our yard, though I did not swat any away that night. Nine mosquito bites were found on the back of the left knee within a two inch area. There are alternate explanations for the bites, but the most likely is that they are mosquito bites.
Maybe it's hives?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Update:

Have not been outside at all tonight, and am not wearing the same pants as before. Have been sitting here on the couch in the living room for the last few hours, minding my own business.

I now have a small grouping of bites on my right thigh.

As I now recall, in the 2008 incident, the couch was the prime suspect.
Do you have a dog or cat? The mites responsible for causing sarcoptic mange may find living on your pet intolerable if you have used Front-Line or other similar treatments on your pet, and they WILL bite you. I visited a friend whose dog was suffering from mange earlier this summer and sat with the dog for a while (he's a pretty chummy mutt). By the time I got home, I noticed three mosquito-bite-like welts on the underside of my forearm, and they itched like crazy for days. They were pretty much gone in under a week, but were far more persistent than mosquito bites.

BTW, any place that has a population of fox, coyotes, etc will have these mites, and pets will bring them into your home from outside, even if they have been given flea/tick treatments.

DaveC426913 said:
haha. Way to make a good first impression stink. :rolleyes:

haha thanx

turbo-1 said:
Do you have a dog or cat? The mites responsible for causing sarcoptic mange may find living on your pet intolerable if you have used Front-Line or other similar treatments on your pet, and they WILL bite you. I visited a friend whose dog was suffering from mange earlier this summer and sat with the dog for a while (he's a pretty chummy mutt). By the time I got home, I noticed three mosquito-bite-like welts on the underside of my forearm, and they itched like crazy for days. They were pretty much gone in under a week, but were far more persistent than mosquito bites.

BTW, any place that has a population of fox, coyotes, etc will have these mites, and pets will bring them into your home from outside, even if they have been given flea/tick treatments.

The only pets I have would result in drowned fleas...
OK, unless you count the Roomba as well.

I hate to suggest it but frankly, both my chill'uns spend all their time at their gf's houses, who do have cats. And both were here that day.

Downdate (opposite of an update):

The bites on my right thigh are nowhere near as itchy as the ones under my left knee. 12 hours later, I'm not even sure they're still there.

The bites under my knee have finally receded. Still a little swelling and itch, but both are down by about 80%. (Actually, that didn't take as long as I would have thought. It's been barely 4 days.)

Dembadon said:
In https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=262090" thread, which was created around the same time of the year (fall) about two years ago, you had a similar episode. Chemisttree thought they might be chiggers (post #15). Could this be a repeat occurrence? Were you able to verify if they were chiggers or not?

I was just thinking the same thing. Of course I remembered the post for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that it isn't just heat-rash, Dave? Face it, dude, your thighs are bigger around than my entire body, and the back of the knees is one of the few holdouts wherein the sun never shines.

Just thinking out loud...