Solving the nature of intersection between 3 planes

In summary, the conversation was about solving a 3x3 system of equations involving planes and finding the nature of their intersection. The first two systems were solved, but the third one was giving trouble. It was eventually determined that the third system had no solutions because the planes were parallel and distinct.
sawdee
Stuck on the last 3 systems on my worksheet, if someone could give me more than just the answer but also teach me how, it would be much appreciated!

"Determine the nature of the intersection if it exists) between the following sets of planes. If it is a line, find the equation of it. If it is a point, determine it.

a.) x + y - z + 3 = 0

-4x + y + 4z - 7 = 0

-2x + 3y + 2z - 2 = 0

b.) 2x - 3y + 4z - 1 = 0

x - y - z + 1 = 0

-x + 2y -z + 2 = 0

c.) 2x - y + 2z + 1 = 0

-4x + 2y -4z -2 = 0

6x - 3y + 6x + 1 = 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what we require in a system of 3 planes for the intersection to be a point, and what we require for the intersection to be a point?

MarkFL said:
Can you tell us what we require in a system of 3 planes for the intersection to be a point, and what we require for the intersection to be a point?

I've actually managed to solve for the first two systems, however I'm stumped on the third one. I'll do my best to write it out here:

2x-y+2x =-1
-4x+2y-4z =2
6x-3y+6z =-1

I managed to bring this down to:

2x-y+2z =-1
0x+0y+0z = 0
6x-3y+6z =-1

This would imply that the system has infinitely many solution, however I kept going

2x-y+2z=1
0x+0y+0z =0
0x-0y-0z = 2

This final step is equal to a number, so that confuses me as that means there are no solutions.

I know if I got a value equal to a point, I can substitute that back into two other equations. However this question gives me both 0=0 and 0=2, so I am beyond confused.

In problem c), we are given the 3X3 system:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle -4x+2y-4z-2=0\tag{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 6x-3y+6z+1=0\tag{3}\)

We should observe that (2) can be obtained by multiplying (1) by -2, and so we really have only two independent equations:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\)

\(\displaystyle 6x-3y+6z+1=0\)

Next, we should observe that these two planes are parallel, and distinct, and so there will be no intersection between them. :)

MarkFL said:
In problem c), we are given the 3X3 system:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle -4x+2y-4z-2=0\tag{2}\)

\(\displaystyle 6x-3y+6z+1=0\tag{3}\)

We should observe that (2) can be obtained by multiplying (1) by -2, and so we really have only two independent equations:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\)

\(\displaystyle 6x-3y+6z+1=0\)

Next, we should observe that these two planes are parallel, and distinct, and so there will be no intersection between them. :)

Ok! so the no solution trumps over the infinitely many solutions?

sawdee said:
Ok! so the no solution trumps over the infinitely many solutions?

If you look at the first two equations, you will get infinitely many solutions, because as we saw, they are the same equations, just in slightly different forms.

Then, if we look at the third equation and either of the first two, we will find no solutions because they are parallel, but distinct, and so they have no intersection. Since we are interested in where all 3 planes intersect, there is none, and so we say the system is inconsistent, or no solution.

Awesome thank you so much!

1. What is the nature of the intersection between 3 planes?

The nature of the intersection between 3 planes can vary depending on the relative positions and orientations of the planes. It can either be a single point, a line, or no intersection at all.

2. How do you determine if 3 planes intersect?

In order to determine if 3 planes intersect, you need to solve the system of equations formed by the equations of the planes. If the system has a unique solution, the planes intersect at a point. If the system has infinitely many solutions, the planes intersect along a line. If the system has no solution, the planes do not intersect.

3. What is the mathematical approach to solving the nature of intersection between 3 planes?

The mathematical approach to solving the nature of intersection between 3 planes is to use linear algebra and the concept of systems of equations. By setting up and solving the system of equations formed by the planes, we can determine the type of intersection between the planes.

4. Can 3 planes intersect at more than one point?

No, 3 planes can only intersect at one point, one line, or not intersect at all. This is because each plane is uniquely defined by its equation, and the intersection of 3 planes would require a unique solution to the system of equations formed by their equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving the nature of intersection between 3 planes?

Yes, the concept of intersection between 3 planes is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, in engineering, the intersection of 3 planes can be used to determine the location of a point in space, while in computer graphics, it can be used to create 3D images and animations.