Solving the Question: Calculating Dose Rate for 90Sr

• Thread starter adamworth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary,The author is trying to help someone with an exam, but is stuck on three questions. If he finds out how to answer question 7, he will be able to answer 8 and 9.
adamworth

Homework Statement

I have attached the question below.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to answer the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I started by calculating the specific dose rates for each isotope, but I cannot get any data for 90Sr using: http://www.nucleide.org/Laraweb/index.php

This is what I have so far.

For 1000 Bq of 137Cs, 850 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 662 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 84 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 1 μCi this is 84 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x 37 GBq = 3108 μSv/h.

For 1000 Bq of 131I, 810 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 364 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 0.4 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 2 μCi this is 0.4 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x (2X37 GBq) = 2.96X105 μSv/h.

Attachments

• Radiation Q.jpg
    Radiation Q.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
There is confusion between external dose (your calculation) and internal dose ( your problem)

Thanks for the reply. Could you give me some tips on how to answer this question please?
PSRB191921 said:
There is confusion between external dose (your calculation) and internal dose ( your problem)

Hi,
For that you must use "Dose coefficients for intakes of radionuclide"
But if you have never heard of it, it may be complicated

I would like your help if possible. I haven't covered this material.

I have been recommended the following book, do you know if it will cover this material?

Radiation Detection and Measurement (3rd Edition) Glenn F Knoll (Wiley)

Thanks

PSRB191921 said:
Hi,
For that you must use "Dose coefficients for intakes of radionuclide"
But if you have never heard of it, it may be complicated

I'm trying to finish an assignment which is to help me in my exam, but I am very stuck on three questions.

If I find out how to answer question 7, will I be able to answer 8 and 9? I really need a good resource.

Quesitons attached below.

KOopznc.jpg

Attachments

• KOopznc.jpg
    KOopznc.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 250

1. What is dose rate and why is it important?

Dose rate is the measure of radiation that is emitted from a radioactive source per unit of time. It is important because it helps determine the potential health risks associated with exposure to radiation and allows for proper safety measures to be implemented.

2. How is dose rate calculated for 90Sr?

The dose rate for 90Sr can be calculated by using the formula: Dose rate = (specific activity) x (exposure rate constant) x (distance from source)^2. The specific activity can be found in a table of radioactive decay data, the exposure rate constant is a constant value for 90Sr, and the distance from the source is typically measured in meters.

3. What factors can affect the dose rate for 90Sr?

The dose rate for 90Sr can be affected by the specific activity of the source, the exposure rate constant, the distance from the source, and the shielding or absorption materials in the surrounding environment.

4. How can the dose rate for 90Sr be minimized?

The dose rate for 90Sr can be minimized by increasing the distance from the source, using shielding materials such as lead or concrete, and handling the source with proper safety precautions.

5. What are some potential health effects of exposure to 90Sr?

Exposure to 90Sr can increase the risk of developing bone cancer, as it is absorbed into the bones and emits beta particles which can damage the surrounding tissue. It can also lead to other health issues such as anemia and bone marrow damage.