Solving the Resistance of an Electric Water Heater

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
student_fun
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A well-insulated electric water heater warms 137 kg of water from 20°C to 45.0°C in 16.0 min. Find the resistance of its heating element, which is connected across 220-V potential difference.


Homework Equations


R=V/I


The Attempt at a Solution


Not sure how to approach this one. Should I refer to a calorimetry approach along with electrical relations? How might I start this one?

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


There is also an equation that relates the power to the voltage V and the resistance R.
On the other hand, you should be able to calculate the power from the given data.
 


Gotcha. Thanks for the hint. Looks like Q = mc delta T works great for calculating necessary heat to heat the water while v squared over R multiplied by time (in seconds) equals the heat generated by potential and resistance over time.

I appreciate your time in providing the hint.