Solving trig equation Mathematica repeats results

In summary, When using Mathematica's Solve[] function to solve trig equations, it may give repeated solutions. This is because Mathematica considers them as double roots, indicating a need for further study on the concept of multiplicity and multiple roots.
NigelTufnel
Gold Member
I am new to Mathematica and I'm not sure if I'm using it properly but sometimes the output doesn't make sense to me. I Hope someone can help me understand or correct my usage.

When solving trig equations Mathematica's Solve[] function gives the correct list of solutions but some of the solutions are repeated more than once. I present an example below.

Given the simple trig equation:
2 Sin[x]^2 + 3 Sin[x] + 1 == 0

Find only those solutions that are in the interval zero to 2*Pi.

There are only three solutions:
(7 Pi)/6, (3 Pi)/2, and (11 Pi)/6

Here is how I input the problem into Mathematica:
Solve[{2 Sin[x]^2 + 3 Sin[x] + 1 == 0, 0 <= x <= 2 Pi}, x]

Here is the output that Mathematica produces:
{{x -> (7 Pi)/6}, {x -> (3 Pi)/2}, {x -> (3 Pi)/2}, {x -> (11 Pi)/6}}

Notice that one of the solutions (3 Pi)/2 is repeated twice in the list of solutions. Why does it repeat this one solution. Why not repeat the others? Why repeat any of them? Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica considers it a double root. Compare with Solve[x^2 == 0, x].

Thank you very much Hypersphere. You have made me aware of my need to study the concept of multiplicity and multiple roots.

1. How does Mathematica solve trigonometric equations?

Mathematica uses a combination of symbolic and numerical methods to solve trigonometric equations. It first simplifies the equation using trigonometric identities and then uses numerical methods to find the solutions.

2. Why does Mathematica sometimes repeat the same solution multiple times?

This can happen when the equation has multiple solutions with the same value. Mathematica will show all the solutions it finds, even if they are repeated.

3. Can Mathematica solve all types of trigonometric equations?

No, Mathematica may not be able to solve every trigonometric equation. It depends on the complexity of the equation and the available methods in the software.

4. How do I know if the solutions given by Mathematica are accurate?

Mathematica uses highly accurate numerical methods to find solutions, so the solutions given are typically very accurate. However, it is always a good idea to check the solutions manually if possible.

5. Can I customize the solving process in Mathematica for trigonometric equations?

Yes, Mathematica allows users to specify certain methods or assumptions to use when solving trigonometric equations. This can help to improve the accuracy or speed of the solving process.