Solving Trig Equations on Intervals [0, 2Pi]

• Thread starter TN17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: By the way, with the first question, whether it was \sqrt{3} or \sqrt{6}, make sure that when you take the square root of both sides that you put in the \pm. You need to solve for both cases where tan(x)=\pm\sqrt{3} and tan(x)=-\sqrt{3}. Remember that.
TN17

Homework Statement

I will ask two questions since they are both under the same lesson.

1) Determine exact solutions for each if domain is xe [0, 2Pi]
2tan^2x -12 = 0

2)Solve the following equations on interval xe [0, 2Pi]
sin x - sinxtanx = 0

Homework Equations

There aren't really any equations - just a lot of identities, lol.

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1)
2tan^2x = 12
tan^2x = 6
x = arctan (squareroot 6)
I had trouble with this one because (squareroot 6) isn't part of any special triangles, so I don't know how to get exact values from it.

For 2)
sin - sintan = 0
sin- sinsin/cos = 0
sincos - sin^2 / cos = 0
I had trouble with this one because there are two different identities instead of one. I didn't know how to continue from there.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TN17! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
TN17 said:
1) Determine exact solutions for each if domain is xe [0, 2Pi]
2tan^2x -12 = 0

x = arctan (squareroot 6)
I had trouble with this one because (squareroot 6) isn't part of any special triangles, so I don't know how to get exact values from it.

I don't know tan-1√6 either :redface:

(Don't forget you need all the solutions in [0,2π])
2)Solve the following equations on interval xe [0, 2Pi]
sin x - sinxtanx = 0

just factor it! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi TN17! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't know tan-1√6 either :redface:

(Don't forget you need all the solutions in [0,2π])

Yeah, I don't know how they got: pi/3, 2pi/3, 4pi/3 and 5pi/3

just factor it! :wink:[/QUOTE]
ok, well I got sin x -sinxtanx = 0
sin x- sinxsinx/cos = 0
sin x (1 - sinx/cos) = 0

...*Blank*.
I'm sorry, I'm pretty nervous for my test tomorrow. :S

TN17 said:
Yeah, I don't know how they got: pi/3, 2pi/3, 4pi/3 and 5pi/3
Well those solutions suggest they were solving [tex]tan(x)=\pm\sqrt{3}[/tex] not [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]. Maybe you made a typo somewhere, like, it could be [tex]2tan^2x-6=0[/tex] or [tex](2tan(x))^2-12=4tan^2(x)-12=0[/tex]

TN17 said:
ok, well I got sin x -sinxtanx = 0
sin x- sinxsinx/cos = 0
sin x (1 - sinx/cos) = 0

...*Blank*.
I'm sorry, I'm pretty nervous for my test tomorrow. :S
Well if we have two products a and b such that ab=0, then what does this say about the solutions? Think back to when you would solve quadratics.

Mentallic said:
Well if we have two products a and b such that ab=0, then what does this say about the solutions? Think back to when you would solve quadratics.

Wow, mind block today.
Thanks, I solved it.
I feel pretty dumb for asking in the first place. :S

I didn't simplify tan. I did:
sinx - sinxtanx = 0
sinx(1-tanx) = 0
Case I:
sinx=0
x = 0, Pi, 2Pi

Case II:
1-tanx = 0
tanx = 1
x= Pi/4, 5Pi/4

TN17 said:
Wow, mind block today.
Thanks, I solved it.
I feel pretty dumb for asking in the first place. :S

I didn't simplify tan. I did:
sinx - sinxtanx = 0
sinx(1-tanx) = 0
Case I:
sinx=0
x = 0, Pi, 2Pi

Case II:
1-tanx = 0
tanx = 1
x= Pi/4, 5Pi/4
Good, I was hoping you'll catch on and realize it's easier if you don't convert tan :smile:

By the way, with the first question, whether it was [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] or [tex]\sqrt{6}[/tex], make sure that when you take the square root of both sides that you put in the [tex]\pm[/tex]. You need to solve for both cases where [tex]tan(x)=\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]tan(x)=-\sqrt{3}[/tex]. Remember that.

1. How do I solve trig equations on intervals?

To solve trig equations on intervals, you need to use the unit circle and trigonometric identities. First, identify the interval given and draw it on the unit circle. Then, use the identities to rewrite the equation in terms of only one variable. Finally, solve for the variable using algebraic techniques.

2. What is the purpose of using intervals in trigonometry?

Intervals in trigonometry help us to restrict the solutions to a specific range of values. This is important because trig functions have an infinite number of solutions and intervals allow us to find the solutions that are relevant to a specific problem or situation.

3. How do I know which trig identities to use when solving equations?

To determine which trig identities to use, it is important to understand the basic trigonometric identities and their relationships. You can also use the given interval and the form of the equation to guide your choice of identities.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trig equations on intervals?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your solutions, it is not recommended to solely rely on it for solving trig equations on intervals. This is because calculators may only give you a numerical approximation of the solution, and there may be more precise or exact solutions that can be found using algebraic techniques.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trig equations on intervals?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using the wrong trig identity, and not simplifying the equation before solving for the variable. It is also important to remember the restrictions of the given interval and to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.