Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving trignometric simultaneous equations

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    Solving trignometric simultaneous equations....

I'm in need of some help solving a set of simultaneous equations which will (hopefully!) solve the inverse kinematics for a robot arm. The equations are as follows:

eq1 := Xu-Xl = -c[4]*L_u2-s[4]*c[5]*L_l*c[6]-c[4]*L_l*s[6]+c[4]*L_u1

eq2 := Zu-Zl = c[3]*s[4]*L_u2-(c[3]*c[4]*c[5]-s[3]*s[5])*L_l*c[6]+c[3]*s[4]*L_l*s[6]-c[3]*s[4]*L_u1

eq3 := Yl = (s[3]*c[4]*c[5]+c[3]*s[5])*L_l*c[6]-Yu*(-L_u1+L_l*s[6])/L_u2

where s[3] denotes sin(theta3) and c[3] cos[theta3] etc

The unknowns I am trying to solve for are theta3,theta4 and theta5.
    I have been attempting to use the solve command in maple but to no effect. If anybody has any pointers of what I could try,either methods or different packages etc I would be very grateful,
    Pete Culmer

I should point out that all other variables in the equations are known. I'm fairly sure there should be one or more symbolic solution(s)...hmmmm
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Advice:drope it dead.These are transcendental equations.Even if u'd be expressing everything in terms of "sines" (par éxample),it would be a system of irrational equations (involving radicals from unknowns).And besides,the number of equations is much less than the number of unknowns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?