Solving trignometric simultaneous equations

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for help in solving a set of simultaneous equations for inverse kinematics of a robot arm. The equations included variables such as sines and cosines, and the unknowns being sought were theta3, theta4, and theta5. The person seeking help had attempted to use the solve command in Maple without success and was looking for suggestions on alternative methods or packages. However, it was pointed out that these equations were transcendental and the number of equations was less than the number of unknowns, making it difficult to find a symbolic solution.
peteculmer
Solving trignometric simultaneous equations...

Hi,

I'm in need of some help solving a set of simultaneous equations which will (hopefully!) solve the inverse kinematics for a robot arm. The equations are as follows:

eq1 := Xu-Xl = -c[4]*L_u2-s[4]*c[5]*L_l*c[6]-c[4]*L_l*s[6]+c[4]*L_u1

eq2 := Zu-Zl = c[3]*s[4]*L_u2-(c[3]*c[4]*c[5]-s[3]*s[5])*L_l*c[6]+c[3]*s[4]*L_l*s[6]-c[3]*s[4]*L_u1

eq3 := Yl = (s[3]*c[4]*c[5]+c[3]*s[5])*L_l*c[6]-Yu*(-L_u1+L_l*s[6])/L_u2

where s[3] denotes sin(theta3) and c[3] cos[theta3] etc

The unknowns I am trying to solve for are theta3,theta4 and theta5.
I have been attempting to use the solve command in maple but to no effect. If anybody has any pointers of what I could try,either methods or different packages etc I would be very grateful,
Thanks
Pete Culmer

EDIT:

I should point out that all other variables in the equations are known. I'm fairly sure there should be one or more symbolic solution(s)...hmmmm

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Advice:drope it dead.These are transcendental equations.Even if u'd be expressing everything in terms of "sines" (par éxample),it would be a system of irrational equations (involving radicals from unknowns).And besides,the number of equations is much less than the number of unknowns.

Daniel.

Hi Pete,

Solving simultaneous equations involving trigonometric functions can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can try. One approach is to use the elimination method, where you eliminate one variable at a time by substituting one equation into another. In your case, you could start by solving for theta3 in eq3 and substituting that into eq1 and eq2. This will eliminate theta3 from those equations, leaving you with two equations and two unknowns (theta4 and theta5). From there, you can use substitution or elimination again to solve for those remaining variables.

Another approach is to use the trigonometric identities to simplify the equations before attempting to solve them. For example, you could use the double angle formula to rewrite c[4]^2 and s[4]^2 in terms of c[8] and s[8], where c[8] denotes cos(2*theta4) and s[8] denotes sin(2*theta4). This may make the equations easier to solve.

You could also try using a different software package, such as MATLAB or Mathematica, to solve the equations. Each package has its own strengths and may have a more efficient way of solving your specific set of equations.

I hope these suggestions help and good luck with solving your equations!

1. How do I solve simultaneous equations involving trigonometric functions?

To solve trigonometric simultaneous equations, you will need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, as well as algebraic techniques. The goal is to isolate one variable in one equation and substitute it into the other equation, then use trigonometric identities to simplify and solve for the remaining variable.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve these types of equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric simultaneous equations. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving them by hand before relying on a calculator. Also, make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) when working with trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving these equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric simultaneous equations include not using the correct identities or properties, making calculation errors, and not checking the solutions in the original equations. It is important to double check your work and ensure that the solutions satisfy both equations.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions to the rules when solving these equations?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions to keep in mind when solving trigonometric simultaneous equations. These include when the equations have no solution, when the equations have infinitely many solutions, or when the equations have extraneous solutions (solutions that do not satisfy both equations).

5. How can I apply these equations to real-life problems?

Trigonometric simultaneous equations can be used to solve various real-life problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building or the distance between two points given certain angles and distances. They are also useful in physics and engineering applications.