Solving Wave Equation with Paraxial Approximation

In summary, the conversation is about a substitution made for U_o and the resulting derivative term in the equation. The participants discuss the product rule and the calculation of the derivatives. They also question why the e^{ikz} term is left out in the final equation, but it is eventually explained that it is not left out, but rather incorporated in the calculations.
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]U_0(r,z)=V(r,z)e^{ikz}[/itex], then:

[tex]\frac{\partial U_0}{\partial z}=\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}e^{ikz}+ikVe^{ikz}[/tex]

due to the product rule.

so... [tex]\frac{\partial^2 U_0}{\partial z^2}=\ldots[/tex]? :wink:

Oops, I see now I was looking past the obvious. I'll do the calculation in the morning. Is there a reason why they leave out the [tex]e^{ikz}[/tex] from the final equation?

Thanks.

edit: [tex] V = V(r,z)e^{ikz} [/tex]?

Last edited:
Confundo said:
Oops, I see now I was looking past the obvious. I'll do the calculation in the morning. Is there a reason why they leave out the [tex]e^{ikz}[/tex] from the final equation?

They haven't "left it out"...To see what becomes of that term, work out the derivatives in equation (4) using the assumed form of U_0.

edit: [tex] V = V(r,z)e^{ikz} [/tex]?

Huh?! :confused:...What are you trying to ask here?

Worked that out now, must learn not to try and do derivatives in my head while tired.

Related to Solving Wave Equation with Paraxial Approximation

1. What is the wave equation and what is its significance in physics?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves in different mediums. It is significant in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the paraxial approximation and how does it relate to the wave equation?

The paraxial approximation is a simplification of the wave equation that is often used in optics and other fields of physics. It assumes that the wave is propagating in a narrow beam and that the angle of propagation is small. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of the wave's behavior.

3. Why is the paraxial approximation useful in solving the wave equation?

The paraxial approximation is useful because it simplifies the wave equation, making it easier to solve and analyze. It also provides a good approximation of the wave's behavior in many real-world situations, making it a practical tool for scientists and engineers.

4. What are some limitations of using the paraxial approximation in solving the wave equation?

While the paraxial approximation is useful in many cases, it does have some limitations. It is only accurate for waves that are propagating in a narrow beam and at small angles. It also does not take into account certain effects, such as diffraction, that may be important in some situations.

5. Can the paraxial approximation be used for all types of waves?

No, the paraxial approximation is only applicable to certain types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves and sound waves. It cannot be used for other types of waves, such as surface waves or shock waves. It is important to consider the specific characteristics of the wave when determining if the paraxial approximation is appropriate to use.