Solving x''(t)+Kx(t)=0 when x has the form sin(ωt+ø): the soln r LD

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gikiian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
gikiian
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
I have the ODE [itex]x''(t)+\frac{k}{m}x(t)=0[/itex].

Given that the solution is of the form [itex]sin(ωt+ø)[/itex], I plug this form into the original ODE and obtain [itex]ω=+\sqrt\frac{k}{m},-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}[/itex].

And hence, I obtain two solutions of the ODE as follows:

[itex]x_{1}(t)=Asin(\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø), x_{2}(t)=Bsin(-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø)[/itex]

Next, I check for the linear independence of the two solutions using the 2x2 Wronskian matrix and obtain [itex]Wronskian=-2ωsin(ø)[/itex] which vanishes at ø=0 or ω=0, implying that the two solutions are not linearly independent.

How can I find the second solution of the second order ODE?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two solutions are not necessarily with the same ø
[itex]x_{1}(t)=Asin(\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø_1), x_{2}(t)=Bsin(-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø_2)[/itex]
 
gikiian said:
I have the ODE [itex]x''(t)+\frac{k}{m}x(t)=0[/itex].

Given that the solution is of the form [itex]sin(ωt+ø)[/itex], I plug this form into the original ODE and obtain [itex]ω=+\sqrt\frac{k}{m},-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}[/itex].

And hence, I obtain two solutions of the ODE as follows:

[itex]x_{1}(t)=Asin(\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø), x_{2}(t)=Bsin(-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}t+ø)[/itex]

Next, I check for the linear independence of the two solutions using the 2x2 Wronskian matrix and obtain [itex]Wronskian=-2ωsin(ø)[/itex] which vanishes at ø=0 or ω=0, implying that the two solutions are not linearly independent.

How can I find the second solution of the second order ODE?

The general solution of [itex]x'' + \omega^2x =0[/itex] is
[tex]x = A\cos (\omega t)+ B\sin (\omega t)[/tex]
By use of the sum formulae for sine and cosine this can be written as either
[tex] x = R \cos (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
where [itex]R^2 = A^2 + B^2[/itex], [itex]\cos \phi = A[/itex] and [itex]\sin\phi = -B[/itex], or as
[tex] x = R \sin (\omega t + \theta)[/tex]
where [itex]R^2 = A^2 + B^2[/itex], [itex]\cos \theta = B[/itex] and [itex]\sin\theta = A[/itex].

The point is that the general solution has two parameters: either two amplitudes or an amplitude and a phase shift.
 
gikiian said:
I have the ODE [itex] <br /> Next, I check for the linear independence of the two solutions using the 2x2 Wronskian matrix and obtain [itex]Wronskian=-2ωsin(ø)[/itex] which vanishes at ø=0 or ω=0, implying that the two solutions are not linearly independent.[/itex]
[itex] <br /> 1) If two functions are linearly dependent, then the Wronskian will vanish everywhere. <br /> <br /> 2) If the Wronskian is not zero at any point, then the functions must be linearly independent.<br /> <br /> So, your two functions are linearly independent unless w = 0 or ø is a multiple of pi.[/itex]