1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some books I want

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    My interest in math and physics has been tremendously growing. I'm purely attracted to calculus, mechanics, relativity, particle & quantum physics.

Anyway, I decided to buy me a couple of books. Here's my list so far:

Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron and Fuller
    The Evolution of Physics - Einstein
    Lectures on Physics (all 3 volumes) - Feynman
    How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams
    How to Ace the Rest of Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams
    Schaum's Outline of Advanced Calculus - Spiegel
    Engineering Mathematics (5th Ed.) - Stroud

Does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about these books? Also, if anyone can recommend a good book on Partial DiffEqs, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen a couple of decent texts on PDE's, The Schaum's Outling in Fourier Series is good. I used a book by Pinsky years ago in undergrad for PDE's. It isn't really rigorous, but is useful to learn from, I still pull it out from time to time. Haberman has written a book on Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Series, it is where I learned a fair amount about Greens Functions, in 1- 2- and 3-d.

Take a look.

dt

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    I would recommend to anybody Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. That book just changed my life reguarding math and physics.

5. Sep 21, 2004 #4
    I own both of these:

How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams
    How to Ace the Rest of Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams

and would have to say that they are great books. The authors break concepts down for better understanding, compared to the more sophisticated approaches that most textbooks use. Worth buying for sure.

6. Sep 22, 2004 #5
    This has multivariable calculus, right?

7. Sep 24, 2004 #6
    i flunked "Fourier" series last sem... i plan to take it again next year, during the 1st semester. please recommend and help me find a good book about it. i'm just so terrible when it comes to fourier...

thanks in advance!Ü

patrick

8. Sep 24, 2004 #7

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

9. Oct 1, 2004 #8
    Can someone recommend a good, cheap, introductory Advanced Calculus textbook (that also covers multivariable calculus)?

10. Oct 1, 2004 #9

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

The problem the best books, Courant, Apostol, etc... are expensive :mad:

11. Oct 1, 2004 #10
    Tell me about it. It's hard enough to buy a book that's 20 bucks, but for one that's 50 to 100 bucks is too hard to fathom.

12. Oct 2, 2004 #11

graphic7

Gold Member

I was lucky enough to inherit a first edition, second printing of Apostol's 'Mathematical Analysis' from one of my professors. I'm very pleased with it. I've been continually using it as suplemental text to go along with Calculus II and III.

13. Oct 2, 2004 #12
    A fairly good book on Analysis (intro level) is Introduction to Analysis by Rosenlith (spelling). It's reasonably easy to follow but it assumes a knowledge of multivariable calculus.

For introductory (I'm implying really basic), Serway's Physics for Students of Science and Engineering is an exceptionally good one.
    Although it's not calculus based, Jones and Childers' Contemporary College Physics is very beneficial in learning the qualitative parts of Physics. I'm a third year physics student studying in Atlanta, and that was one of the first books I took from my personal library.

Again, it's slightly more advanced, but Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a definite recommend.

Stay away from Tipler.

14. Oct 7, 2004 #13
    Thanks for the recommendations, Sting. :smile: I think I'll be getting Shankar's QM book sometime soon, as I've heard a lot of good stuff about it.

I decided to get Widder's Advanced Calculus. It was the cheapest I could fine. We'll see how it turns out.

Anyway, I'm now looking for introductory books on Complex and Real Analysis. For Real Analysis, I'm torn between Shilov's Elementary Real and Complex Analysis and Rosenlicht's Introduction to Analysis. And for Complex Analysis, I can't decide whether to get Cartan's Elementary Theory of Analytic Functions of One or Several Complex Variables or Silverman's Introductory Complex Analysis. All four books are available on amazon.com. Which ones should I get?

Please bear in mind that they're basically going to be my first view of Analysis, and that I'm going to use them teach myself the material. I'm almost done with multivariable calculus, and I've finished linear algebra and ODEs. So, I guess I have the needed background?

15. Dec 5, 2004 #14

jk

book

I can't recommend highly enough the book Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg. It covers much more than the title and is written from the modern viewpoints. The book is out of print but they have a pdf copy online for free at the Harvard website. DO a search for 'Advanced Calculus' and 'Loomis and Sternberg' on google.

16. Dec 6, 2004 #15
    I can't seem to find it - will you be able to send it to my email?
    s2.wirjo.s2@gmail.com?

17. Dec 6, 2004 #16
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?