Books on Math & Physics: Calculus, Mechanics, Relativity & More

• Thread starter devious_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: Please bear in mind that they're basically going to be my first view of Analysis, and that I'm going to use them teach myself the material. I'm almost done with multivariable calculus, and I've finished linear algebra and ODEs. So, I guess I have the needed background?In summary, Patrick recommends the books Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg and Introduction to Analysis by Rosenlith. Be sure to also look up Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg on Google.
devious_
My interest in math and physics has been tremendously growing. I'm purely attracted to calculus, mechanics, relativity, particle & quantum physics.

Anyway, I decided to buy me a couple of books. Here's my list so far:

Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics - Byron and Fuller
The Evolution of Physics - Einstein
Lectures on Physics (all 3 volumes) - Feynman
How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams
How to Ace the Rest of Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams
Schaum's Outline of Advanced Calculus - Spiegel
Engineering Mathematics (5th Ed.) - Stroud

Does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about these books? Also, if anyone can recommend a good book on Partial DiffEqs, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen a couple of decent texts on PDE's, The Schaum's Outling in Fourier Series is good. I used a book by Pinsky years ago in undergrad for PDE's. It isn't really rigorous, but is useful to learn from, I still pull it out from time to time. Haberman has written a book on Boundary Value Problems and Fourier Series, it is where I learned a fair amount about Greens Functions, in 1- 2- and 3-d.

Take a look.

dt

I would recommend to anybody Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. That book just changed my life reguarding math and physics.

I own both of these:

How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide - Adams

and would have to say that they are great books. The authors break concepts down for better understanding, compared to the more sophisticated approaches that most textbooks use. Worth buying for sure.

Blast0 said:

This has multivariable calculus, right?

i flunked "Fourier" series last sem... i plan to take it again next year, during the 1st semester. please recommend and help me find a good book about it. I'm just so terrible when it comes to fourier...

thanks in advance!Ü

patrick

Well, i recommend Advanced Calculus by Wilfred Kaplan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone recommend a good, cheap, introductory Advanced Calculus textbook (that also covers multivariable calculus)?

The problem the best books, Courant, Apostol, etc... are expensive :mad:

Cyclovenom said:
The problem the best books, Courant, Apostol, etc... are expensive :mad:

Tell me about it. It's hard enough to buy a book that's 20 bucks, but for one that's 50 to 100 bucks is too hard to fathom.

I was lucky enough to inherit a first edition, second printing of Apostol's 'Mathematical Analysis' from one of my professors. I'm very pleased with it. I've been continually using it as suplemental text to go along with Calculus II and III.

A fairly good book on Analysis (intro level) is Introduction to Analysis by Rosenlith (spelling). It's reasonably easy to follow but it assumes a knowledge of multivariable calculus.

For introductory (I'm implying really basic), Serway's Physics for Students of Science and Engineering is an exceptionally good one.
Although it's not calculus based, Jones and Childers' Contemporary College Physics is very beneficial in learning the qualitative parts of Physics. I'm a third year physics student studying in Atlanta, and that was one of the first books I took from my personal library.

Again, it's slightly more advanced, but Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics is a definite recommend.

Stay away from Tipler.

Thanks for the recommendations, Sting. :smile: I think I'll be getting Shankar's QM book sometime soon, as I've heard a lot of good stuff about it.

I decided to get Widder's Advanced Calculus. It was the cheapest I could fine. We'll see how it turns out.

Anyway, I'm now looking for introductory books on Complex and Real Analysis. For Real Analysis, I'm torn between Shilov's Elementary Real and Complex Analysis and Rosenlicht's Introduction to Analysis. And for Complex Analysis, I can't decide whether to get Cartan's Elementary Theory of Analytic Functions of One or Several Complex Variables or Silverman's Introductory Complex Analysis. All four books are available on "www.amazon.com"[/URL]. Which ones should I get?

Please bear in mind that they're basically going to be my first view of Analysis, and that I'm going to use them teach myself the material. I'm almost done with multivariable calculus, and I've finished linear algebra and ODEs. So, I guess I have the needed background?

Last edited by a moderator:
book

I can't recommend highly enough the book Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg. It covers much more than the title and is written from the modern viewpoints. The book is out of print but they have a pdf copy online for free at the Harvard website. DO a search for 'Advanced Calculus' and 'Loomis and Sternberg' on google.

jk said:
I can't recommend highly enough the book Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg. It covers much more than the title and is written from the modern viewpoints. The book is out of print but they have a pdf copy online for free at the Harvard website. DO a search for 'Advanced Calculus' and 'Loomis and Sternberg' on google.

I can't seem to find it - will you be able to send it to my email?
s2.wirjo.s2@gmail.com?

1. What is the difference between calculus and mechanics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of rates of change and accumulation. It involves concepts like limits, derivatives, and integrals. Mechanics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It uses mathematical concepts and equations, including calculus, to describe and analyze the motion of objects.

2. How is calculus used in physics?

Calculus is an essential tool in physics, as it helps in describing and analyzing the motion of objects. It is used to calculate rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to determine the area under a curve, which represents displacement. It is also used in deriving equations for motion, such as the equations of motion for constant acceleration.

3. What is relativity and why is it important in physics?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory is important in physics because it explains phenomena that cannot be explained by classical mechanics, such as the behavior of objects at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

4. What are some common applications of calculus in everyday life?

Calculus has many practical applications in everyday life, including in engineering, economics, and medicine. It is used to optimize the design of structures, such as bridges and buildings, and to analyze and predict economic trends. In medicine, calculus is used to understand the rate of change of health conditions and to develop treatment plans.

5. Can you recommend any good books on math and physics?

There are many great books on math and physics, and it depends on the specific topic you are interested in. Some popular books on calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. For mechanics, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor is a highly recommended book. "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein is a classic book on relativity. Other great books on math and physics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman.