What are the ages of the three sons?

• Thread starter johnnyc
  • Start date
In summary, two mail carriers have a conversation where one reveals that the product of their three sons' ages is equal to the age of the other mail carrier. However, this is not enough information to determine the sons' ages. They then discuss how the sum of the ages is equal to the number of windows in a nearby building. Finally, the mystery is solved when the mail carrier reveals that their middle son is red-haired, indicating that there is only one middle son. With this information, the age of the sons can be determined.
johnnyc

Homework Statement

Two mail carriers meet on the route and have a conversation
A: You have three sons. How old ar ethey?
B: if you multiply their ages, the result will equal your age
A: That's not enough to tell me the answer!
B: the sum of these three numbers equals the number of windows in that building.
A: But it's still not enouhg!
B: My middle son is red-haired
A: Ah, now it's clear!"
How old are the sons?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just plugging a bunch of three setted numbers but i just don't know what the hell I'm tryin to go for. I can deduce from the red-haired part that there are no twins at all in the three kids so the numbers have to be unique but besides that I've gotten nowhere!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming people don't live more than 100 years, the age of mail carrier A is less than or equal to 100 so the product of mail carrier B's son's ages is less than or equal to 100.

Also, since most building are rectangular in nature, the number of windows will normally be the product of two numbers (what do these numbers represent?).

The importance of "My middle son is red-haired" is that there IS one "middle son". Look at the sets of 3 numbers that satisfy the conditions and see if there is only one that does not have 3 distinct numbers.

What is Some Discreet Math stuff?

Some Discreet Math stuff is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete elements and is often used in computer science and cryptography.

What are some examples of topics covered in Some Discreet Math stuff?

Some topics covered in Some Discreet Math stuff include combinatorics, graph theory, number theory, and algorithms.

How is Some Discreet Math stuff different from other branches of math?

Some Discreet Math stuff is different from other branches of math because it focuses on discrete elements rather than continuous ones. This means that it deals with objects that can only take on specific values, rather than a continuous range of values.

What are the real-world applications of Some Discreet Math stuff?

Some real-world applications of Some Discreet Math stuff include cryptography, data encryption, network optimization, and computer programming.

Do you need a strong background in math to understand Some Discreet Math stuff?

While a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand Some Discreet Math stuff. Many concepts in this branch of math can be understood with basic math skills and logical thinking.