Where Should I Pursue My Higher Education?

In summary, Patrick plans to study at a US university for his undergraduate degree and then go on to graduate studies at a foreign university. He recommends that international students consider studying in Europe as it is probably cheaper.
Singleterry
Good day,

I'm a Mexican student who is currently in his 3rd year of Junior High School; from an early age I have shown some inclination towards Mathematics and Science (especially Physics).

Within a few months I will finish Junior High School and I'm planning in enrolling in the International Baccalaureate program at a prestigious High School which can offer me a ~40/50% scholarship (which is the maximum scholarship that they offer to small schools like mine). Recently I have been thinking about the following questions:

• Should I make my undergrad studies in a Mexican University (UNAM or IPN) or shall I study in another country? In case I study in another country: approximately how much does a semester on a U.S. university cost (something like Berkeley or MIT)?
  • In case I make my undergrad studies in Mexico: would it be recommendable for me to make my graduate studies (M.D. and Ph.D.) in another country?

Thanks for your attention,
Patrick.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could consider doing your first degree in Europe: undergraduate fees for international students in the UK probably work out cheaper than fees at prestigious institutions in the UK. Assuming you can pick up a language (or even european spanish), institutions on the continent are much cheaper: some are completely free!

An easy way to check the tuition fees for US universities is with this site:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp+50
Don't worry about the ranking, that's more black magic than exact science. You can do a search at the right under the ads. Most of them seem to be in the $30k to $45k range per year. But note that is only 'tuition and fees', you will have to include boarding, travel, books etc. http://web.mit.edu/facts/tuition.html", for example, says that in the 2010/11 year, boarding and books at MIT was about $14k (which must have gone up slightly this year), bringing the total for MIT in 2011/12 to about $55k per year. Also, I'm not sure, but I think some universities have higher 'tuition and fees' for foreign students.

Like nickbob00 said, you may want to check out Europe, where it is probably cheaper, but I think the UK is making it harder for foreign students to study there (all gossip, I don't really know, what til someone more knowledgeable than me tells you about Europe).

Oh, and btw, Berkley and MIT are extremely difficult to get in to, and harder for foreigners. Still apply to them by all means, but also try for universities that are not as prestigious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Where Should I Pursue My Higher Education?

What doubts do I have about my education?

Doubts about one's education can stem from a variety of sources, such as low grades, difficulty understanding certain concepts, or feeling unprepared for future academic or career pursuits. It is important to identify the specific areas of doubt and address them in order to gain clarity and confidence in one's education.

How can I overcome doubts about my education?

Overcoming doubts about one's education requires a proactive approach. This can include seeking help from teachers or peers, developing a study plan, and actively engaging in the learning process. Building a strong support system and having a growth mindset can also help in overcoming doubts.

What if I feel like I'm falling behind in my education?

Feeling like you're falling behind in your education can be a common concern, especially in fast-paced academic environments. It is important to communicate with your teachers and seek extra help if needed. Additionally, developing good time management skills and staying organized can help you stay on track and catch up on any missed material.

How do I know if I am receiving a quality education?

A quality education should not only provide you with knowledge and skills, but also help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It should also encourage a love for learning and provide opportunities for personal and professional growth. If you feel like your education is lacking in any of these areas, it may be worth discussing your concerns with your teachers or seeking additional resources.

What role do extracurricular activities play in my education?

Extracurricular activities can be a valuable addition to your education. They can provide opportunities for personal growth, build leadership skills, and help you explore your interests and passions. However, it is important to balance extracurricular activities with your academic responsibilities and make sure they do not negatively impact your education.