Proving Limits of Function f(x) = x^3/abs(x)

In summary, the function f(x)=x^3/abs(x) has the following limits: - The limit as x approaches infinity is infinity. - The limit as x approaches 0 from the positive side is 0. - The limit as x approaches 0 from the negative side is also 0. - The limit as x approaches negative infinity is negative infinity. - The limit as x approaches 0 does not exist. To prove these limits, the definition of limits should be used. The function is not continuous at x=0.
mathgal
I have the function f(x)=x^3/abs(x)

I think that the following are all true:
lim f(x)= inf.
x->inf

lim f(x)= 0
x-> 0+

lim f(x)=0
x-> 0-

lim f(x)= -inf.
x-> -inf

and

lim f(x)= dne.
x-> 0

I'm not sure about the last one, because I thought that ususally when the limit from the left and the limit from the right are the same, this means that the lim does exist at that number (in this case 0)? But I know this function is not defined at x=0.

Now I need to prove while all these limits are what I have claimed them to be. I'm guessing I need to use the def. of continuity but I'm not sure. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathgal said:
I have the function f(x)=x^3/abs(x)

I think that the following are all true:
lim f(x)= inf.
x->inf

lim f(x)= 0
x-> 0+

lim f(x)=0
x-> 0-

lim f(x)= -inf.
x-> -inf

and

lim f(x)= dne.
x-> 0

I'm not sure about the last one, because I thought that ususally when the limit from the left and the limit from the right are the same, this means that the lim does exist at that number (in this case 0)? But I know this function is not defined at x=0.
It's not "usually" - it's "always." The two-sided limit of a function exists iff both one-sided limits exist and are the same number. Yes, the function is not defined at x = 0, but that doesn't have any direct bearing on whether the limit exists.
mathgal said:
Now I need to prove while all these limits are what I have claimed them to be. I'm guessing I need to use the def. of continuity but I'm not sure. Please help!

You need to use the definition of the limit (with delta and epsilon). You are not proving that the function is continuous - since it's not defined at 0, it's not continuous at 0.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It represents the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value.

2. How do you prove the limit of a function?

To prove the limit of a function, you need to show that the function approaches a specific value as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value. This can be done using various techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or using algebraic manipulation.

3. Can you use algebra to prove a limit?

Yes, algebra can be used to prove a limit. This involves manipulating the function algebraically to show that it approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain value.

4. What is the limit of the function f(x) = x^3/abs(x)?

The limit of the function f(x) = x^3/abs(x) is undefined. This is because the function has different values on either side of the specified input value (x=0), and therefore cannot approach a single value.

5. Can the limit of a function be calculated at a discontinuity?

No, the limit of a function cannot be calculated at a discontinuity. This is because a discontinuity represents a break in the function, and the function cannot approach a specific value at that point.