Some Properties of the Rational Numbers .... Bloch Exercise 1.5.9 (3)

In summary, the conversation discusses Exercise 1.5.9 in Section 1.5 of Ethan D. Bloch's book, "The Real Numbers and Real Analysis." The exercise involves proving the existence of a k value such that (r + 1/k)^2 < s for r and s in the rational numbers. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas from previous exercises and the need to avoid involving real numbers in the proof. The solution strategy involves using Exercise 1.5.6 and setting t = s-r^2 to find a suitable k value.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Section 1.5: Constructing the Rational Numbers ...

I need help with Exercise 1.5.9 (3) ...Exercise 1.5.9 reads as follows:
View attachment 7023We are at the point in Bloch's book where he has just defined/constructed the rational numbers, having previously defined/constructed the natural numbers and the integers ... so (I imagine) at this point we cannot assume the existence of the real numbers.

Basically Bloch has defined/constructed the rational numbers as a set of equivalence classes on \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}^*\) and then has proved the usual fundamental algebraic properties of the rationals ...Now ... we wish to prove that for \(\displaystyle r, s \in \mathbb{Q}\) where \(\displaystyle r \gt 0\) and \(\displaystyle s \gt 0\) that:

If \(\displaystyle r^2 \lt s\) then there is some \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\) such that \(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\) ... ...

Solution Strategy

Prove that there exists a \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\) such that \(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\) ... BUT ... without in the proof involving real numbers like \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) because we have only defined/constructed \(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}, \mathbb{Z}\), and \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) ... so I am assuming that we cannot take the square root of the relation \(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\) and start dealing with a quantity like \(\displaystyle \sqrt{s}\) ... is this a sensible assumption ...?So ... assume \(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\) ..

then

\(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s\)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow r^2 + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s\) ... ... since \(\displaystyle \frac{2r}{k} \gt 0\) ... (but ... how do I justify this step?)

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow k^2 \gt \frac{1}{ s - r^2 }\)

But where do we go from here ... seems intuitively that such a \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\) exists ... but how do we prove it ...

(Note that I am assuming that for \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\) that if we show that \(\displaystyle k^2\) exists, then we know that \(\displaystyle k\) exists ... is that correct?Hope that someone can clarify the above ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

===========================================================================================

***NOTE***

In Exercises 1.5.6 to 1.5.8 Bloch gives a series of relations/formulas that may be useful in proving Exercise 1.5.9 (indeed, 1.5.9 (1) and (2) may be useful as well) ... so I am providing Exercises 1.5.6 to 1.5.8 as follows: (for 1.5.9 (1) and (2) please see above)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7024
View attachment 7025

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Solution Strategy

Prove that there exists a \(\displaystyle k \in \mathbb{N}\) such that \(\displaystyle ( r + \frac{1}{k} )^2 \lt s\) ...

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s\)
I would prefer to see this as

\(\displaystyle {\color{red}\Longleftarrow} r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s\),​
because that is the implication that you want to use!

In order to find $k$ such that $r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s$, let $t = s-r^2$. You are told (or at least, you can prove using Exercise 1.5.6) that $t>0$. Also, $\frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s - r^2 = t > 0.$ Use 1.5.6 again to write that as $tk\left(k - \frac{2r}t\right) + 1 >0$. That inequality will be satisfied whenever $k$ is an integer greater than $\frac{2r}t.$

Having found such a value for $k$, you can then reverse each step of the argument to show that $\left(r+\frac1k\right)^2 < s$.

Opalg said:
I would prefer to see this as

\(\displaystyle {\color{red}\Longleftarrow} r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s\),​
because that is the implication that you want to use!

In order to find $k$ such that $r^2 + \frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s$, let $t = s-r^2$. You are told (or at least, you can prove using Exercise 1.5.6) that $t>0$. Also, $\frac{2r}{k} + \frac{1}{k^2} \lt s - r^2 = t > 0.$ Use 1.5.6 again to write that as $tk\left(k - \frac{2r}t\right) + 1 >0$. That inequality will be satisfied whenever $k$ is an integer greater than $\frac{2r}t.$

Having found such a value for $k$, you can then reverse each step of the argument to show that $\left(r+\frac1k\right)^2 < s$.
Thanks so much for the help Opalg ...

... in particular, thanks for the key point regarding the logic of the exercise ... I had not thought that out clearly ...

Peter

1. What are rational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not zero. They include fractions, integers, and terminating or repeating decimals.

2. What are some properties of rational numbers?

Some properties of rational numbers include closure, commutativity, associativity, identity, inverse, and distributivity. These properties allow for operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to be performed on rational numbers.

3. How do you determine if a number is rational?

A number can be determined to be rational if it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This can be done by converting the number to a fraction or by performing the decimal expansion and looking for a pattern of repetition.

4. Can irrational numbers be converted to rational numbers?

No, irrational numbers cannot be converted into rational numbers. They are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and have non-terminating and non-repeating decimal expansions.

5. How are rational numbers used in real life?

Rational numbers are used in everyday life for tasks such as measuring quantities, calculating distances, and determining time. They are also used in areas like finance, where fractions and percentages are commonly used to represent values.