What are some real-life applications of lenses?

• Thread starter ap_cycles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between convex and converging lenses, the characteristics of a lens with a short focal length, and the application of placing an object at the focal length of a lens. It suggests that a thick, fat lens and a higher refractive index can result in a shorter focal length. The conversation also touches on the challenges of teaching this topic to high-ability students.
ap_cycles
1. Are all convex lenses also converging lenses?

The attempt at a solution
Convex refers to shape. Converge refers to action. My answer is yes, provided that the material the lens is made of is denser than air, or denser than some other surrounding medium. Am i correct? OR are there other explanations?

2. What are the characteristics of a lens with a short focal length?

The attempt at a solution
We should divide the lens into 2 categories: namely converging and diverging. For a converging lens, the centre should be much fatter than at its edges. For a diverging lens, the centre should be much thinner than at its edges. Am i correct?

3. Suggest an application when an object is placed at the focal length of a lens

I saw a textbook. It says that a real image is on opposite side of the object at infinity, in which case it is used in a spotlight. Another image which is virtual is on the same side of the object, also at infinity, in which case it is used in the eyepiece of a telescope. Can someone please explain how the real image (on the opposite side of the object) is formed please?? It really bugs me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone able to help please? I am a school teacher about to deliver this topic soon.

1. Yes, I agree.

2. The converging/diverging issue seems unrelated to the matter of short focal length. I'm not sure exactly what they are trying to get at, it may have something to do with aberrations.

3. Again I'm not sure exactly what they are after. The spotlight is a pretty good answer. An object at the focal length will form an image "at infinity", as you are saying. That means that rays coming from a point on the object will come out of the lens parallel to each other. So their "intersection" point (the image location) is at + or - infinity.

If you are going to teach a class, perhaps you can just avoid the subtle questions and concentrate on basic calculations using object and image distance, focal length, and magnification? What grade level is the class?

Hi RedBelly,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify the points you raised:

2. The converging/diverging issue seems unrelated to the matter of short focal length. I'm not sure exactly what they are trying to get at, it may have something to do with aberrations.

I interpret this question as what are the physical characteristics of a lens that will enable it to have a short focal length. Using this as the main reasoning, a thick fat converging lens will have a shorter focal length. So will a thicker diverging lens. (I made a subtle mistake in my first post, the overall diverging lens should be thicker, not thinner.)

Another physical feature i can think of is the refractive index of the lens. The higher the refractive index compared to the surrounding medium, the shorter will be the focal length.

If you are going to teach a class, perhaps you can just avoid the subtle questions and concentrate on basic calculations using object and image distance, focal length, and magnification? What grade level is the class?

Well, true. But the students i am teaching are a bunch of high-ability students.(They are fifteen year olds.) That is the caveat. As a teacher of such students, i naturally have to be prepared. :blushing:

ap_cycles said:
Hi RedBelly,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify the points you raised:

I interpret this question as what are the physical characteristics of a lens that will enable it to have a short focal length. Using this as the main reasoning, a thick fat converging lens will have a shorter focal length. So will a thicker diverging lens. (I made a subtle mistake in my first post, the overall diverging lens should be thicker, not thinner.)
Good points. Another way to put it is to say that short focal length lenses have greater surface curvature, while long focal length lenses have flatter surfaces.

Another physical feature i can think of is the refractive index of the lens. The higher the refractive index compared to the surrounding medium, the shorter will be the focal length.
That's true. Though within a given commercially available product line of lenses, the lenses will be of the same material (hence refractive index), and have varying surface curvatures to produce different focal lengths.

But the students i am teaching are a bunch of high-ability students.(They are fifteen year olds.) That is the caveat. As a teacher of such students, i naturally have to be prepared. :blushing:
True. Good luck, and feel free to post again with questions. I'll suggest your future posts let people know that you are a teacher up front, then people may be more forthcoming with help.

"True. Good luck, and feel free to post again with questions. I'll suggest your future posts let people know that you are a teacher up front, then people may be more forthcoming with help."

Thanks for the encouragement !

What is the purpose of lenses in scientific research?

Lenses are used in scientific research to manipulate and focus light, allowing for magnification and clearer visualization of objects and materials.

How do lenses work?

Lenses work by refocusing light rays that pass through them, either converging them to a focal point (convex lenses) or diverging them (concave lenses).

What are the different types of lenses?

There are three main types of lenses used in scientific research: convex lenses, concave lenses, and compound lenses (made up of multiple convex and/or concave lenses).

How are lenses used in microscopes?

Lenses are a crucial component of microscopes, as they allow for magnification and resolution of tiny objects and structures. In a compound microscope, multiple lenses work together to magnify the image of the specimen.

What are some common applications of lenses in scientific research?

Lenses have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including microscopy, spectrometry, telescopes, and cameras. They are also used in various medical procedures such as eye surgeries and endoscopies.