Some questions regarding a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an urgent need for help with a differential equation, specifically regarding the integration of a term over a region of independent variables. The person has solved the equation analytically and has obtained a solution in terms of both independent variables. However, they are unsure if they can integrate the term before solving the equation and whether they should use the first or second method. They also request an explanation for the different results obtained. Ultimately, it is determined that it does not matter if the integration is done before or after solving the equation, as long as x and lambda are independent.
nothingisreal
Hello,

I am new here. I hope I am posting my problem at the right place.

I need some urgent help regarding the following differential equation:

A[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+B[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex])...(1)

where, A and B are constants. x and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are independent.

I have solved the equation analytically and the solution is a function of x and [itex]\lambda[/itex], i.e y(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]).

Afterwards, to obtain y(x) [i.e to make it [itex]\lambda[/itex] independent], I have integrated the solution over a region of [itex]\lambda[/itex], i.e [itex]\int{y(x,\lambda)}[/itex]d[itex]\lambda[/itex]=y(x) ...(2)

My question is - can I integrate the term f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]) over a region of [itex]\lambda[/itex] before solving the eqn (1)? i.e if I replace f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]) by [itex]\int{f(x,\lambda)}[/itex]d[itex]\lambda[/itex] = f(x) in eqn (1) and solve the following equation:

A[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+B[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=f(x) ...(3)

Is it a correct way to solve (1)?

I have solved the eqn (3). But, the solution (y(x) curve) is completely different than (2).

Which method should I use (first or second method)? Any explanation of getting different results would also help me. Please pardon my ignorance - I am new in this field.

Many many thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes if x and lambda are independent, then it does not matter if you integrate before or after you solve the ode.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes in relation to other variables. It involves the use of derivatives to express the rate of change of a function.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the general solution or a particular solution that satisfies the equation. This allows us to understand how a system behaves and predict its future behavior.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs involve random processes.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and understand complex systems and predict their behavior. They are also used in designing experiments and analyzing data.

5. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods include Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.