Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions regarding a differential equation

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am new here. I hope I am posting my problem at the right place.

I need some urgent help regarding the following differential equation:

A[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+B[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]).......(1)

where, A and B are constants. x and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are independent.

I have solved the equation analytically and the solution is a function of x and [itex]\lambda[/itex], i.e y(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]).

Afterwards, to obtain y(x) [i.e to make it [itex]\lambda[/itex] independent], I have integrated the solution over a region of [itex]\lambda[/itex], i.e [itex]\int{y(x,\lambda)}[/itex]d[itex]\lambda[/itex]=y(x) ........(2)

My question is - can I integrate the term f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]) over a region of [itex]\lambda[/itex] before solving the eqn (1)? i.e if I replace f(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]) by [itex]\int{f(x,\lambda)}[/itex]d[itex]\lambda[/itex] = f(x) in eqn (1) and solve the following equation:

A[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+B[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=f(x) ............(3)

Is it a correct way to solve (1)?

I have solved the eqn (3). But, the solution (y(x) curve) is completely different than (2).

Which method should I use (first or second method)? Any explanation of getting different results would also help me. Please pardon my ignorance - I am new in this field.

Many many thanks in advance.........

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2013 #2
    Yes if x and lambda are independent, then it does not matter if you integrate before or after you solve the ode.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook