Some simple integration (trig)

In summary, the conversation discussed two integrals, [1] and [2], and possible methods for solving them. It was suggested that [1] can be easily solved using the natural log method, while [2] may require a trig substitution. However, it was noted that an ordinary substitution may be more efficient for [1]. The conversation also emphasized the importance of including the "dx" term in integrals and making algebraic expressions "similar" for substitutions.
jwxie

Homework Statement

[1] integral of 2x / (4+x^2)
[2] [tex]\int \frac{3}{\abs{x}\sqrt{x^{6}-1}}[/tex]
(the x above is absolute |x|, can't find the latex code...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[1] can be done easily using natural log method.
ln|4+x^2| +c

The reason I asked this was because this question belong to "The Caclulus of The Inverse Trig Functions", where it introduced how to take d/dx and integral of arcsin, arccos, arctan, etc.

I was wondering if [1] can be done by arctan... arctan = integral of 1/1+x^2

[2] It was very similar to integral of sec, integral of 1/ (|x| sqrt(x^2-1))
I tried to factor out those x and reduce it to x^3, but still no luck, because of |x|

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jwxie said:
[1] can be done easily using natural log method.
ln|4+x^2| +c

The reason I asked this was because this question belong to "The Caclulus of The Inverse Trig Functions", where it introduced how to take d/dx and integral of arcsin, arccos, arctan, etc.

I was wondering if [1] can be done by arctan... arctan = integral of 1/1+x^2
Sorry no, there's no "nice" way to express it in terms of the arctangent function. The book was maybe trying to show you that just because you see some (x^2 + a^2) term doesn't mean you should try [itex]x= a \tan t[/tex] straight away, but still check that the methods you used before don't work first. If they do, then use that!

[2] It was very similar to integral of sec, integral of 1/ (|x| sqrt(x^2-1))
I tried to factor out those x and reduce it to x^3, but still no luck, because of |x|

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Your hunch is good. So if you want to make the integral you have now look like the one for arcsec x, what substitution could you make that does that? With experience you will learn that when you want to make two algebraic expressions "similar" enough for a u-substitution, the best things to make the same is what's under the root sign, and hopefully the rest will fall into place.

jwxie,
Don't omit the dx in your integrals. If you do, you can run into problems, especially in trig substitutions.

Gib Z,
Regarding [tex]\int \frac{2x dx}{4 + x^2}[/tex]
this can be integrated using trig substitution. This is not the most efficient way to do things, because an ordinary substitution is quicker for this integral, but a trig substitution works and isn't much more involved.

Using an ordinary substitution, u = 4 + x2, and du = 2xdx, you arrive at an antiderivative of ln(4 + x2) + C

Using trig substitution, with 2tan w = x, and 2sec2 w = dx, you arrive eventually at an antiderivative of ln( (4 + x2)/4 ) + C'.

These antiderivatives appear to be different, and they are, but they differ only by a constant, namely ln(4).

Hi.
Thank you both of your helps. I understood them now.

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the reverse operation of differentiation, which is finding the slope of a curve at a given point.

What is the purpose of integration?

The purpose of integration is to solve problems related to finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

What is a simple integration?

Simple integration involves finding the anti-derivative of a function. It is also known as indefinite integration because it does not have upper and lower limits of integration.

What is the trigonometric substitution method in integration?

The trigonometric substitution method is a technique used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric identity for a variable in the integral, simplifying the expression, and then solving it using simple integration techniques.

What are the common trigonometric identities used in integration?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integration include the Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities help to simplify the integrand and make it easier to solve the integral.