How do I solve this tricky math problem involving sums?

• Thread starter seaglespn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum Sums
In summary, the conversation involves a problem that requires math tricks and the use of geometric series. The formula for the sum of a geometric series is provided as a hint, and the conversation also touches on the concept of infinite geometric series and its limit. Finally, the conversation concludes with the correct solution to the problem.
seaglespn
Some sums, don't sum up :)

I have a problem that require some math tricks, and after I tried to solve it myself I looked at the answer and I don't understand how this is done :
[tex]
\[
\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{2}{5}} \right)^k } + \sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{3}{5}} \right)^k } = \frac{5}{3}\left( {1 - \left( {\frac{2}{5}} \right)^{n + 1} } \right) + \frac{5}{2}\left( {1 - \left( {\frac{3}{5}} \right)^{n + 1} } \right)
\]
[/tex]

An advice pls, thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello seaglespn,

Hint: geometric series :wink:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n q^{k}=\frac{1-q^{n+1}}{1-q}[/tex]

for [tex]|q|<1[/tex]

Do you know how to prove this identity?
Although not necessary for solving this problem you might want to take a look at the infinite geometric series as well.

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty q^{k}[/tex]

for [tex]|q|<1[/tex]

What would be the limit?

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:
nazzard said:
Hello seaglespn,

Hint: geometric series :wink:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n q^{k}=\frac{1-q^{n+1}}{1-q}[/tex]

for [tex]|q|<1[/tex]

Do you know how to prove this identity?
Although not necessary for solving this problem you might want to take a look at the infinite geometric series as well.

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty q^{k}[/tex]

for [tex]|q|<1[/tex]

What would be the limit?

Regards,

nazzard
Ok, I have done the math, and I end up with the correct answer, after I wasn't so sure about the : [tex] \[
b_n = b_1 \frac{{q^n - 1}}{{q - 1}}
\]
[/tex]

Where the power of q must be the TOTAL number of elements...

Code:
Sorry, my mistake... :smile:
The sum thends to a constant... but that might be a definitions somewhere...
And it didn't rings any bell to me...
A constant "variable" due to q. :smile: .
Goofy me...

Thx for the help!

Regards,
seaglespn.

Last edited:
seaglespn said:
And about the sum which tends to infinit the limit would be 0 if |x|<1 , else it would be infinite... :smile:

Try again please :smile:

[tex]\sum\limits_{k = 0}^\infty q^{k}=\lim_{\substack{n\rightarrow\infty}}\sum\limits_{k = 0}^{n} q^{k}=\lim_{\substack{n\rightarrow\infty}}\frac{1-q^{n+1}}{1-q}=?[/tex]

Remember [tex]|q|<1[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex]
\[
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{{1 - q^{n + 1} }}{{1 - q}} = \frac{1}{{1 - q}} = ?
\]
[/tex]

[tex]
\[
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{{1 - q^{n + 1} }}{{1 - q}} = \frac{1}{{1 - q}} \]

[/tex]
?
Sorry about double post... my refresh is kinda slow :smile:

seaglespn said:
[tex]
\[
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{{1 - q^{n + 1} }}{{1 - q}} = \frac{1}{{1 - q}} \]

[/tex]
?

correct :smile:

Regards,

nazzard

Thanks for your help @nazzard... :smile:

Cheers!

What is the meaning of "Some sums, don't sum up"?

The phrase "Some sums, don't sum up" is often used to describe situations where the final outcome or conclusion does not match the individual parts or calculations. It implies that some things cannot be explained or understood by simply adding up the parts.

Why is it important to understand that "Some sums, don't sum up"?

As a scientist, it is important to recognize that not everything can be explained by simply adding up the parts. This phrase reminds us to think critically about complex systems and consider all factors before drawing conclusions.

What are some examples of "Some sums, don't sum up" in the scientific world?

One example is the concept of emergent properties in biology, where the interactions between individual components of a system create new properties that cannot be predicted by studying the parts alone. Another example is the phenomenon of quantum entanglement in physics, where the behavior of two particles cannot be explained by their individual properties.

How does the phrase "Some sums, don't sum up" apply to everyday life?

In everyday life, we encounter situations where the final outcome or result cannot be explained by simply adding up the individual components. This could be seen in relationships, where the dynamics between people cannot be fully understood by looking at each person individually. It reminds us to consider all factors and complexities in any situation.

Is there a way to make "Some sums, don't sum up" more applicable in the scientific world?

Yes, scientists can use tools such as systems thinking and modeling to better understand complex systems and how the parts interact with each other. By using these methods, we can gain a more comprehensive understanding of how "some sums, don't sum up" in the scientific world.