English Terms for Academic Scholarships

In summary: This term encompasses the idea of a student assisting in research while also learning about the field.
Sagant
Hey,
I'm writing my CV in English right now, and because my native language is Portuguese, I got stuck on some specific terms. Two to be fair.

1) Here in my university we have a scholarship that lasts one semester (our academic year is divided into two semesters) which is given to undergraduate students who helps other students in a given discipline, in after class hours. That is, if a student that is taking a course, say "Calculus I" has any doubts, he/she can ask help of this particular student, who has already been approved in the same course with maximum grade, and has been chosen by the professor to help others in this course. This student than receives a small scholarship for this work. Here we call "Course Monitor" on a literal translation, however it doesn't sound nice in English and Google was not able to help me. Is there anything like it?

2) Another scholarship is what we call "Scientific Initiation", which is one given by a professor to a student that wants to enroll on research, while being an undergraduate. Then, the student will help the professor, or phd/MSc students on their research, while learning about the area and the academic world. Is there a more appropriate term for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sagant said:
Hey,
I'm writing my CV in English right now, and because my native language is Portuguese, I got stuck on some specific terms. Two to be fair.

1) . This student than receives a small scholarship for this work. Here we call "Course Monitor" on a literal translation, however it doesn't sound nice in English and Google was not able to help me. Is there anything like it?

2) Another scholarship is what we call "Scientific Initiation", which is one given by a professor to a student that wants to enroll on research, while being an undergraduate. Then, the student will help the professor, or phd/MSc students on their research, while learning about the area and the academic world. Is there a more appropriate term for this?

For number one, I would suggest "course mentor".

For number two, I think "scientific initiative" is the phrase you're looking for.

What is the importance of understanding English terms for academic scholarships?

Understanding English terms for academic scholarships is important for students who are seeking financial aid for their education. These terms often dictate the eligibility criteria and requirements for various scholarship programs. Knowing these terms can help students determine if they are eligible for a particular scholarship and how to meet the requirements.

What are some common English terms used in academic scholarships?

Some common English terms used in academic scholarships include GPA (Grade Point Average), FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, full ride scholarships, and renewable scholarships. These terms may vary depending on the specific scholarship program, but understanding these general terms can be helpful for students.

How can students find out more information about English terms for academic scholarships?

Students can find out more information about English terms for academic scholarships by researching online, speaking with their school's financial aid office, and reading the terms and conditions of specific scholarship programs. It is also helpful to ask for clarification from scholarship providers if any terms are unclear.

Are there any tips for students to understand and remember English terms for academic scholarships?

One tip for students to understand and remember English terms for academic scholarships is to create a glossary or list of terms that they come across. They can also make flashcards or mnemonic devices to help them remember the terms. It is also important to regularly review and update this list as new terms may arise.

What should students do if they do not meet the eligibility criteria for a scholarship due to their English proficiency?

If a student does not meet the eligibility criteria for a scholarship due to their English proficiency, they should reach out to the scholarship provider to inquire if there are any accommodations or alternative eligibility criteria available. They can also look for other scholarship opportunities that may have different language requirements. Additionally, students can work on improving their English skills to increase their chances of meeting eligibility criteria in the future.