Finding Polynomial Equations from Table of Values

In summary, you are to use 5 points from your data set, 5 (x,y)-values, to create 5 simultaneous eqns in a,b,c,d,e. You then use matrix methods to solve for the unknowns, i.e. a,b,c,d,e.
F.B
I need help with these sort of questions where you have given a set of
points and you must determine the equation, linear ones are easy but ones
that are quadratic or cubic. So could go about and tell me how to determine
equations of polynomials. Heres the set of points i am given.

x...y
-3...-110
-2...-21
2...-5
3...-56
The dots separate the columns because they are supposed to be in a table of values.

So can anyone help me determine an equation for this. I know i have to find the differences in the y-column, so the fourth difference of the y-column are constant at -24, but what do i do now. I know the equation is in the form y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, but what do i do with the 24 and how do i solve the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
you are to find an interpolating polynomial, right?

Remember that you can always interpolate with a polynomial of degree one less than the number of points you've got.
that is:
You may use a sixth-degree polynomial here, if it is actually possible to interpolate with a polynomial of less degree, that will become apparent when solving the equations for the sixth-degree polynomial

F.B said:
... but what do i do now. I know the equation is in the form y=ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e, but what do i do with the 24 and how do i solve the rest.
You don't bother with the 24 now. You just used that to determine the order of the polynomial.

You have a 4th order polynomial with 5 unknowns, a,b,c,d,e.

Use 5 points from your data set, 5 (x,y)-values, to create 5 simultaneous eqns in a,b,c,d,e.
Then use matrix methods to solve for the unknowns, i.e. a,b,c,d,e.

Since you talk about the "fourth difference" apparently you know about "Newton's divided difference formula". It is essentially the same as Taylors series but works with finite differences:
[tex]P(x)= y(x_0)+ \Delta_1(x- x_0)+ \frac{\Delta_2}{2}(x-x_0)(x-x_1)+ ...+ \frac{\Delta_n}{n!}(x- x_0)(x-x_1)...(x- x_n)[/tex]
x0, x1,etc are the x values starting at some point (in your case, x0= -3, x1= -2,etc.) The terms [itex]\Delta_1[/itex], etc are the divided differences (since your x-values are all unit steps apart, that's just the differences). Notice that you do not have powers of (x-x0) but products of (x-x0[/sub](x- x1) etc.

The computation involved is a bit easier than solving 4 equations for 4 unknowns. Also this has the advantage that it is easier to program.

1. How do I find a polynomial equation from a table of values?

Finding a polynomial equation from a table of values involves identifying a pattern in the data and using it to create a polynomial expression. This can be done by looking at the differences between consecutive values and using them to determine the degree of the polynomial. Then, plug in the given values and solve for the coefficients using algebraic methods.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest exponent of the variable present in the equation. For example, in the equation y = 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1, the degree is 3. The degree determines the shape and behavior of the graph of the polynomial function.

3. Can a polynomial equation have more than one variable?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have more than one variable. For example, the equation y = 3x^2 + 2xy + 5y^2 would be considered a polynomial with two variables, x and y. The degree of this polynomial would be 2, as determined by the highest exponent of the variables.

4. What is the difference between a linear and quadratic polynomial equation?

A linear polynomial equation has a degree of 1, meaning it has one variable raised to the first power. It takes the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. A quadratic polynomial equation, on the other hand, has a degree of 2 and takes the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are coefficients. The graph of a quadratic function is a parabola, while the graph of a linear function is a straight line.

5. Can I use a table of values to find the roots of a polynomial equation?

Yes, you can use a table of values to find the roots of a polynomial equation. The roots, or solutions, of a polynomial equation are the values of the variable that make the equation equal to zero. By plugging in different values for the variable and checking if the resulting output is zero, you can determine the roots of the polynomial. Alternatively, you can also use the quadratic formula to find the roots of a quadratic polynomial equation.