1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Someone please check my simple vector algebra

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1

itr

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Velocity vector for a .5kg body, t=1s to t=35s, is v=5t^2 i + 3/t j – t k

WHat is the position vector? what is the angular momentum vector?what is the acceleration vector? what is torque exerted on the body?

2. Relevant equations
    L=rxp=rxmv
    T=rxf=rxma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Position vector: 5/3t^3 i + 1/3ln(t) j - 2t^-2 k
    Acceleration Vector: 10t i + (t-3)/t^2 j - k
    I am not good in cross product so i might need verification if i did it write...granted that my vectors above are right...
    L=rxp=rxmv
    L=((t/6lnt)-3/2))i, ((-15/6)-(5/6t^2))j, ((5/t^6)-(5/6t^2 lnt))k.

I wont write out torque vector because it takes awhile and if i know how do do what is above right, i can manage the torque one...so please somebody review my work

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2009 #2

itr

All it is is checking my work.....becasue there are further parts that run off of this work and i want to make sure i got this part right

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

itr

bold letteres are vectors

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

itr

PLEASE somebody check this out for me...just not sure about the derivatives/integrals and the cross product exectution

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Neither the position vector nor the acceleration is correct. Look after the rules of derivation and integration.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook